Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Little garden on balcony - need advice

Wildbilly un-binned wrote:
In article ,
Jtkyla wrote:

Hi,
I live in London and am lucky enough to have a little balcony. I grew
tomatoes and peppers/chillies a couple of years ago, can't say I
could have fed the borough but it was so lovely and the tomatoes
tasted great.
I now would like to have a herbs garden...
My question is around the quality of air and effect on veges/herbs...
although I do have a balcony, it also is on a main road and I have a
bus stop right in front of my building (most of the time very useful
to have it so close).
I'm guessing the fumes from cars/buses etc is not great for either
veges or herbs, but should that stop me from having my little garden
on my balcony??
The tomatoes were delicious and I'm still alive but is it really bad?
Thanks for your advices..I'm not a great gardener but I am so excited
about getting my "fresh" herbs!
J.

Once upon a time you would have had asbestos and lead to worry about,
but today it is mostly lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway.

I'd suggest you grow your herbs and mist, or rinse them a couple of
times a week to wash the dust off.

Bon Appétit

Sounds like a plan to me.