Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Registered User

Default Little garden on balcony - need advice

Hi,
I live in London and am lucky enough to have a little balcony. I grew tomatoes and peppers/chillies a couple of years ago, can't say I could have fed the borough but it was so lovely and the tomatoes tasted great.
I now would like to have a herbs garden...
My question is around the quality of air and effect on veges/herbs... although I do have a balcony, it also is on a main road and I have a bus stop right in front of my building (most of the time very useful to have it so close).
I'm guessing the fumes from cars/buses etc is not great for either veges or herbs, but should that stop me from having my little garden on my balcony??
The tomatoes were delicious and I'm still alive but is it really bad?
Thanks for your advices..I'm not a great gardener but I am so excited about getting my "fresh" herbs!
J.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

--
Jtkyla

I would guess that if there were tomatoes that grew well there, the
herbs
would also grow well there. Light is the biggest thing with herbs.
Love
my fresh herbs, esp basil for salads in the summer. Nothing like it.
Enjoy your garden.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jtkyla wrote:

[...]

you are probably breathing in more
crud than you will ever get from
eating herbs.

perhaps you can limit it somewhat
by picking the newest growth and making
sure to rinse before using.

of course, i'm assuming that you are
in a place that no longer adds lead to
gasoline...

songbird
Old 12-04-2011, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jtkyla wrote:

[...]

Once upon a time you would have had asbestos and lead to worry about,
but today it is mostly lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway.

I'd suggest you grow your herbs and mist, or rinse them a couple of
times a week to wash the dust off.

Bon Appétit

"Gardening is a way of showing that you believe in tomorrow."
- Anon

-
--
US Military budget FYI '09: $737,000,000,000
US Dept of Health and Human Services FYI '10: $78,400,000,000

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Wildbilly un-binned wrote:
In article ,
Jtkyla wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 13-04-2011, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:25:19 +0000, Jtkyla wrote:
I'm guessing the fumes from cars/buses etc is not great for either veges
or herbs, but should that stop me from having my little garden on my
balcony??
J.

Harvest or pick some after a rain, and wash or soak with cold water
before cooking.

Old 13-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered User

"Once upon a time you would have had asbestos and lead to worry about,
but today it is mostly lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway."

Great life we have hey... "lead, zink, copper, and polycyclic aromatic
hydrocarbons, which you would be breathing anyway." :S

Thanks a lot to all of you for your advices, I can now go and get my kit with some peace of mind...

J.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:16 PM
Registered User

This apple in accoutrements is not spending money alone. It is spending the diaphoresis of its laborers, the ability of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of activity at all in any accurate sense. Under the clouds of war, it is altruism blind on a cantankerous of iron.
__________________
Hydroponic Gardening Benefits
Old 11-05-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered User

Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered User

Old 11-05-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Old 12-05-2011, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

jarommtailor wrote:

This apple in accoutrements is not spending money alone.

Herbs do great in balcony gardens. Apple trees, not so much. Go small.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

jarommtailor wrote in message

This apple in accoutrements is not spending money alone. It is spending
the diaphoresis of its laborers, the ability of its scientists, the
hopes of its children. This is not a way of activity at all in any
accurate sense. Under the clouds of war, it is altruism blind on a
cantankerous of iron.

--
jarommtailor

WTF????