Old 13-04-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Seed potatoes

Nad R wrote:
"Snag" wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
Blackberry wrote:
Steve Peek;917703 Wrote:
"HL B123" wrote in message
...-
With exception of having more to plant ,what is the purpose of
cutting seed potatoes into halves or quarters?
thanks hlb-

Potatoes have many "eyes" (spots where sprouts occur). If too
many eyes

sprout those resulting sprouts become crowded, reducing yield.
Man has discovered that 2-3 sprouts work well for maximum
production, thus the cutting before planting helps out as well
as producing additional "seed".

I think cutting the seed before planting helps in producing well
and more!!

Would that be at the expense increased disease rate by cutting
them. Pros and Cons here?

from what i've seen in the buckets
of scraps, don't worry. those buggers
don't rot easily.

i've got plenty of peels that were
cut and immediately buried that are
still viable and sprouting months
later.

the only thing i would be worried
about if there was any apparent rot
to start with. trim that off and
you'll be good to go.

songbird

I hope so , I didn't read the instructions , just cut n buried .

Hmmm...

What a crowd... I do not cut, I plant them whole. No sulfur or
waiting. Do I get the yields, probably not. But does that bother
me... No.

I toss the hot potato to others now

Hey , at least this year I actually went and bought seed taters . Last
year I planted some that sprouted in the pantry - great foliage for a few
weeks , then ... they just died .

--
Snag
Learning keeps