Old 13-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Registered User

Wink News!!!!

Hello everybody, i'm one of the lovers of gardening, i like planting and growing some useful plants and flowers. I know that everyone of you like too and want to make his garden the best one, that's why i decided to share with you
Garden Bargains discount code, they have diifferent plants and beautiful flowers!!
Old 13-04-2011, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Seed potatoes

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Blackberry wrote:
Steve Peek;917703 Wrote:
"HL B123" wrote in message
...-
With exception of having more to plant ,what is the purpose of cutting
seed potatoes into halves or quarters? thanks hlb-

Potatoes have many "eyes" (spots where sprouts occur). If too many eyes

sprout those resulting sprouts become crowded, reducing yield. Man has
discovered that 2-3 sprouts work well for maximum production, thus the
cutting before planting helps out as well as producing additional
"seed".

I think cutting the seed before planting helps in producing well and
more!!

Would that be at the expense increased disease rate by cutting them.
Pros and Cons here?

The plan is to cut the potatoes, dust with sulfur, and then allow the
cut surfaces to dry (2-3 days) before planting. Cut and plant is a
recipe for rot.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 13-04-2011, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
Blackberry wrote:
Steve Peek;917703 Wrote:
"HL B123" wrote in message
...-
With exception of having more to plant ,what is the purpose of
cutting seed potatoes into halves or quarters?
thanks hlb-

Potatoes have many "eyes" (spots where sprouts occur). If too
many eyes

sprout those resulting sprouts become crowded, reducing yield. Man
has discovered that 2-3 sprouts work well for maximum production,
thus the cutting before planting helps out as well as producing
additional "seed".

I think cutting the seed before planting helps in producing well and
more!!

Would that be at the expense increased disease rate by cutting them.
Pros and Cons here?

from what i've seen in the buckets
of scraps, don't worry. those buggers
don't rot easily.

i've got plenty of peels that were
cut and immediately buried that are
still viable and sprouting months
later.

the only thing i would be worried
about if there was any apparent rot
to start with. trim that off and
you'll be good to go.

songbird

I hope so , I didn't read the instructions , just cut n buried .

Hmmm...

What a crowd... I do not cut, I plant them whole. No sulfur or waiting. Do
I get the yields, probably not. But does that bother me... No.

I toss the hot potato to others now

Old 13-04-2011, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
"Snag" wrote:
songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:
Blackberry wrote:
Steve Peek;917703 Wrote:
"HL B123" wrote in message
...-
[...]

Hey , at least this year I actually went and bought seed taters . Last
year I planted some that sprouted in the pantry - great foliage for a few
weeks , then ... they just died .

--
Snag
Learning keeps

Well there's good news and bad news.... Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 32 26-06-2004 11:48 AM
Good news/bad news Mike Patterson Ponds 2 19-05-2004 08:09 PM
Good News-Bad News Bob Adkins Ponds 2 14-09-2003 06:32 PM
Sad news, good news and questions all in one message Boystrup Pb, ann,... Orchids 18 13-06-2003 04:44 PM
There is good news and bad news Essjay001 United Kingdom 0 10-06-2003 02:32 AM