Old 15-04-2011, 01:02 PM
SBenney SBenney is offline
Registered User

Location: Cambrideshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baigent View Post
Hi all

Absolute novice here.

At the tender age of 50yrs I finally decided to try gardening and do something with my garden.

My garden is 150ft long by 22ft wide. About 40ft of the end of my garden is brambles and stinging nettles. 18 years ago I promised my wife that I would sort it out.

Today I started (must not rush things) by using a borrowed hedge trimmer to cut all the jungle down to earth level, I need to level a mound of earth to make a sitting area under a big oak tree. I guess that I will turf it as well.

But do I need to do anything to stop all the nettles, brambles etc coming back up?

To be honest it looks like a huge task which has held me back from starting before.

All the best
Mark
Hi Mark

If you don't want to poison the environment with too much weedkiller my advice is to buy (or borrow) a good quailty brush cutter - if you can get hold of a petrol driven one you could clear the area in about 10 minutes. Ryobi are a good make at a reasonable price.

Ryobi Direct

However you will also need to dig out all the bramble roots or they will come back very quickly.

Regards

Steve