Old 14-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Registered User

Default Hi All, newbie from Essex.

Hi all

Absolute novice here.

At the tender age of 50yrs I finally decided to try gardening and do something with my garden.

My garden is 150ft long by 22ft wide. About 40ft of the end of my garden is brambles and stinging nettles. 18 years ago I promised my wife that I would sort it out.

Today I started (must not rush things) by using a borrowed hedge trimmer to cut all the jungle down to earth level, I need to level a mound of earth to make a sitting area under a big oak tree. I guess that I will turf it as well.

But do I need to do anything to stop all the nettles, brambles etc coming back up?

To be honest it looks like a huge task which has held me back from starting before.

All the best
Mark
Old 14-04-2011, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Mark Baigent

Spray the area with a weed killer/suppressant. Cover with a membrane. Cover
that with 20mm stones. Place pots of shrubs/flowers etc and your seat.

Later if you want to plant anything, go through the stones, cross cut the
membrane and plant. Later, not straight away because of the weed killer..

Don't bother with grass under the Oak Tree, it won't grow.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 14-04-2011, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mark Baigent wrote in
:

[...]

You have to stop using the trimmer straight away and use glyphosate to kill
them. It might take a few attempts to get rid and I don't think it will be
this year you will be able to do anything else with the plot.
The ones you have already trimmed to ground level need to grow again so
that you can poison them too!

Try the link below.

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glyphosa.htm

Glyphosate can only work when foliage is present but is the best weedkiller
known to mankind.

In summary, spray-die-then they grow again -spray-die etc. until the
nettles and brambles vanish. You will always get new weeds growing but
hopefully no nettles and brambles.
Either that or you get the fork and spade out!

Happy weeding
Baz
Old 14-04-2011, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 14, 9:39*am, Mark Baigent Mark.Baigent.
wrote:
[...]

You need a good weed killer. Brambles are hard to kill. Cut it all
down and when you get fresh new growth (prob.in June) spray with
"Pastor".
This is the best weedkiller I know for brambles. It takes about
three weeks to totally kill brambles.
You need to hit the fresh growth in non drought conditions (but no
rain.)
You might need to hit ones that appear later once more.
Cut all the dead down again. If possible,set it on fire on site,
(kills weed seeds).
Best to rotovate after, damned hard work to dig it by hand with all
the roots etc.
You will need to go to agricutural supplier to get Pastor.
Pastor doesn't kill grass, just everthing else.
Do NOTspray on a windy day unless you hate your nieghbours.
Read the instructions esp. about what strength for what weeds & safety
precautions..

Old 15-04-2011, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 09:03:53 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Apr 14, 9:39*am, Mark Baigent Mark.Baigent.
wrote:
Hi all

Absolute novice here.

This bit snipped
[...]

Here we go again. Harry, please realise that the OP, in his own words,
is an "absolute novice". Pastor is approved as an agricultural
herbicide for professional use only. IT IS NOT FOR AMATEUR USE IN
GARDENS. (I'm deliberately shouting!).

Jake

Old 15-04-2011, 01:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Cambrideshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Baigent View Post
Hi all

Absolute novice here.

At the tender age of 50yrs I finally decided to try gardening and do something with my garden.

My garden is 150ft long by 22ft wide. About 40ft of the end of my garden is brambles and stinging nettles. 18 years ago I promised my wife that I would sort it out.

Today I started (must not rush things) by using a borrowed hedge trimmer to cut all the jungle down to earth level, I need to level a mound of earth to make a sitting area under a big oak tree. I guess that I will turf it as well.

But do I need to do anything to stop all the nettles, brambles etc coming back up?

To be honest it looks like a huge task which has held me back from starting before.

All the best
Mark
Hi Mark

If you don't want to poison the environment with too much weedkiller my advice is to buy (or borrow) a good quailty brush cutter - if you can get hold of a petrol driven one you could clear the area in about 10 minutes. Ryobi are a good make at a reasonable price.

Ryobi Direct

However you will also need to dig out all the bramble roots or they will come back very quickly.

Regards

Steve
Old 15-04-2011, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Jake- Hide quoted text -

I always give the best way to tackle a job. Pastor is the best way.
And don't talk to me about "proffesionals". Work creation that's all
it is.
Old 15-04-2011, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
[...]

it is.- Hide quoted text -

More Bullsh.. from Harry the expert on everything in almost posting
to 129 groups

Get yourself some SBK Brushwood Killer, get a cheap watering can that
you mark as poison so you dont use it for anything else.
mix as directed and water onto the brambles as they are growing, no
need to cut them down as the old stems will have more green leaf to
catch the mix.
If you can tread down the brambles so that you can get in further then
do so before applying, if not, by swinging the can you will reach in
about 10 to 12 ft,
Remember it will kill almost everything it hits so take care,
Old 15-04-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

.................................................. ......................................

Then .. as I said before

Old 15-04-2011, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

The "best way" as you call it should mean the "best way" in all the
circumstances. It's also interesting that Dow (who market Pastor) say
it's for nettles, docks and thistles. They have another product
(Timbrell) for brambles though, again, that's for agricultural use. I
doubt that Dow would bother to market Timbrell if Pastor was the best
product for the job.

All I'm seeing from your advice here and in the other bracken thread
is a sufficient supply of what the nanny Eurocrats will call
"anectodal evicence" of illegal selling and use of herbicides. That
"anecdotal evidence" could make the difference between product
approval and product withdrawal.

Meanwhile Mark would be far better advised to follow the advice of the
RHS at http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=256 which
is, more or less, what the sensible posters here are suggesting.

Jake

Old 15-04-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Shall we be practical here folks?

Could that be possible on this newsgroup/forum?

What does the OP say?

"""18 years ago I promised my wife that I would sort it out"""

Does that make him a devoted, enthusiastic, keen and raring to go gardener?

NO NO NO 'Cover it with concrete and paint it green' comes to mind.

Why why why are you urglers giving him all sorts of advice, advice through
speakers set toooooooooo high?

OP. Cover it with a membrane to suppress the weeds. Put a load of 20mm
stones on it, (Pea gravel looks nice, but you will have the neighbour's
vermin called CATS crapping on it), put your seats out and enjoy the vista
without the work.

My advice?

NO

That of a devoted gardener with over 50 YEARS experience of gardening for
the 'beauty of it' and who has had their 'gardens' open to the public

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UVMQGRGA

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=BWT4G78H

Mike
(Now expecting a letter to be sent to the family)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 15-04-2011, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Please review my new Gardening Website

SBenney wrote:

Hi
I am currently developing a new website that aims to provide seasonal
advice on what to do in the garden each month. I would appreciate it
if any forum readers would visit the site and comment on the content
and design. Any feedback is welcome - good or bad.

'Seasonal Gardening - Guidance & advice for UK Gardeners'
(http://www.seasonalgardening.co.uk)

I am currently adding photographs of plants in season from UK gardens
as I visit them this year. Also from my own and friends gardens and
the local allotment. The most recent garden I visited was RHS Hyde
Hall in Essex, which had a great display of spring bulbs and
hellebores plus the most magnificent Cornas Mas in flower. At the end
of this month I plan to visit RHS Harlow Carr - so I will be adding
many more pictures from there.

Many Thanks

Steve

You've disabled the right click for some reason? you worried that
someones going to steal all your pictures? I mean the sites completely
locked down you may want to read
http://blogs.sitepoint.com/dont-disable-right-click/

Now, the only reason I noticed is because the left click to select a
line of text I was going to quote for your feedback cannot be selected
either.

that line by the way was in relation to the front page where you say
that you are "Covering the whole of the UK (Great Britain, England,
Scotland, Ireland & Wales)"

So, does that mean ALL of Ireland, ie the Republic too as you seem to
imply that it's part of the UK.?

--
Donnie
"**** the world, it's time to fight back"

Lambretta Series 2 186cc "The Shitter"
Lambretta LD 175cc "The Chopper"
Honda CB500R "Look out, Donnie's about!"
Old 15-04-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 18:29:12 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

[...]

Come on, Mike, the OP also says " I finally decided to try gardening
and do something with my garden". Read the parable of the prodigal
son.

NO NO NO 'Cover it with concrete and paint it green' comes to mind.

If you want to do that, concrete colourant is far easier.

Why why why are you urglers giving him all sorts of advice, advice through
speakers set toooooooooo high?

Speakers are only set to high when someone gives (may I say) dangerous
advice - I don't mean you. Your advice is a decent alternative should
the OP not want to take his new-found desire to try gardening forward
with long-term enthusiasm.

OP. Cover it with a membrane to suppress the weeds. Put a load of 20mm
stones on it, (Pea gravel looks nice, but you will have the neighbour's
vermin called CATS crapping on it), put your seats out and enjoy the vista
without the work.

Given the choice between turning an area 40 by 22 feet into something
like a garden area or lugging tons (I guess about 7-8) of gravel or
stones to that area, I know which I'd go for. And don't forget that
bramble and nettle roots which are supressed by a membrane will spread
underground looking for a way up so the area to be covered needs to be
a bit bigger. Killing the bramble etc., is really a pre-requisite to
whatever comes next.

My advice?

NO

That of a devoted gardener with over 50 YEARS experience of gardening for
the 'beauty of it' and who has had their 'gardens' open to the public

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=UVMQGRGA

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=BWT4G78H

Mike
(Now expecting a letter to be sent to the family)

With the price of postage stamps now? I'm still paying off the second
mortgage I took out to pay the postage on last year's Christmas cards
;-))

Cheers

Jake
Old 15-04-2011, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 15/04/2011 19:09, Donnie wrote:
SBenney wrote:

[...]

I have no problem copying any image or text on the site. What browser
are you using? I'm using FF 3.6.16.

--

Jeff
Old 15-04-2011, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Well done and thanks for a new additon to gardeners' resources on the web.

I'm mainly interested in veggies and think a useful addition would be to
give the following info about vegetables:-

What kind of soil they are suited to
Spacing between plants/rows
Typical problems including probs with germination or pests

It's a big job, but well done for what you've done so far.

Roy