Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
kush

Default Help my plants are almost dead

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

LeighMo wrote in message
Incorrect. It's not a complication, it's a different system. With a UGF

it
is possible to keep your substrate really, really clean and extend the
viable lifespan of an aquarium system for years longer than is possible

with
a static media bed where materials build up which eventually contribute

the deterioration and ultimate demise of the system.

I agree...if you're talking about a non-planted tank. I kept tanks for

years
-- decades, even -- with UGFs. But with plants, they're an impediment,

not a
help.

The last thing you want in a planted tank is "really clean substrate."

Plants
like dirty gravel, preferably slightly anaerobic. (The absorb nutrients

better
that way.) In a healthy planted tank, you don't need the clean the gravel,

even
without a UGF. Eventually, you will have to replant the tank, because the
substrate will get rootbound. But that has nothing to do with dirt in the
gravel. If you use a substrate with is never exhausted, like Flourite,

there
won't be any deterioration or demise.

If you want to keep your gravel really, really clean, then yes, you can't

beat
a UGF for that. If you want to grow plants, it's a needless complication.

Leigh