Old 16-04-2011, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Tony Miklos Tony Miklos is offline

Default Plant Identification?

On 4/15/2011 10:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
On 4/15/11 5:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. Looks like it
needs filtered light. Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...eat=directlink

Hmm, I used to be able to post links without them being broken so I
guess you will have to cut and paste it.

Although they appear different, both the woodland and potted plants
appear to be a form of Geranium. These would be "true" Geraniums and
not Pelargoniums, which are commonly called "geraniums".

Yes, I believe they are the same or related, they are all in one 200sq'
area in the woods, the potted one with rounded leaves was right there
with the rest of the "pointy leaf" ones. The coloring and variegation
on the leaves are identical, and so far the flower "spikes" are
identical. Now that the pointy leaf kind is multiplying in the woods,
I'll surely add one of those to the garden also. I won't did up
anything that may be the only one around.

On the other hand, they might indeed be Pelargonium tomentosum (t
geranium).

I don't think it's the tomentosum, there is no mint like smell, but I
see the Pelargoniums in general, some have pointy and some have round
leaves. Could be it. I'm anticipating the flowers to compare them.
Still, the variegation of the leaves on mine is 100 times more beautiful
then any I saw pics of or have seen in person.

I hope I don't find out someone threw an ailing potted geranium
in the woods and that's what I have! Although the foliage is so pretty,
it doesn't matter what it turns out to be.