Old 16-04-2011, 01:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plant Identification?

Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. Looks like it
needs filtered light. Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...eat=directlink

Hmm, I used to be able to post links without them being broken so I
guess you will have to cut and paste it.
Old 16-04-2011, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/15/11 5:53 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. Looks like it
needs filtered light. Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...eat=directlink

Hmm, I used to be able to post links without them being broken so I
guess you will have to cut and paste it.

Although they appear different, both the woodland and potted plants
appear to be a form of Geranium. These would be "true" Geraniums and
not Pelargoniums, which are commonly called "geraniums".

On the other hand, they might indeed be Pelargonium tomentosum (t
geranium).

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 16-04-2011, 12:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos said:

Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. Looks like it
needs filtered light. Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...nknownPlant02?

authkey=Gv1sRgCN_5l4zH-4CrrAE&feat=directlink

Hmm, I used to be able to post links without them being broken so I
guess you will have to cut and paste it.

That's a Heuchera, AKA alum root, possibly H. americana. The leaf color
and shape is naturally quite variable, which has allowed for many
domestic cultivars to be derived from an already attractive wild plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heuchera_americana
http://www.wildflower.org/plants/res...id_plant=HEAM6

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes. Swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 16-04-2011, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/15/2011 10:41 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

Yes, I believe they are the same or related, they are all in one 200sq'
area in the woods, the potted one with rounded leaves was right there
with the rest of the "pointy leaf" ones. The coloring and variegation
on the leaves are identical, and so far the flower "spikes" are
identical. Now that the pointy leaf kind is multiplying in the woods,
I'll surely add one of those to the garden also. I won't did up
anything that may be the only one around.

On the other hand, they might indeed be Pelargonium tomentosum (t
geranium).

I don't think it's the tomentosum, there is no mint like smell, but I
see the Pelargoniums in general, some have pointy and some have round
leaves. Could be it. I'm anticipating the flowers to compare them.
Still, the variegation of the leaves on mine is 100 times more beautiful
then any I saw pics of or have seen in person.

I hope I don't find out someone threw an ailing potted geranium
in the woods and that's what I have! Although the foliage is so pretty,
it doesn't matter what it turns out to be.
Old 16-04-2011, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:

Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. Looks like it
needs filtered light. Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...eat=directlink

Why didn't you plant it in an old soup tin? Poor thing is struggling
in that silly tiny plastic pot... don't you own a piece of ground...
at least plant it in an unglazed clay pot 4-6 times that size. Unless
you can afford a piece of ground or a proper container then leave
plants where they live. I truly hope you don't have any pets, you'd
abuse them too.

Old 16-04-2011, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/16/2011 9:06 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

Don't get your panties in a wad, it will get planted when some other
landscaping is ready for it. Besides, it was the worst looking one in
the woods and now it looks a lot healthier than it was. It was up high
on a fallen tree stump with the earth around it washing away each time
it rained. I saved it from a certain dry death. Now where did I put
that soup tin...... I'll take your advice.
Old 16-04-2011, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heucher...id_plant=HEAM6

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes. Swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Hi Pat
I knew this one would get a reply from Pat! How are you, we actually
have a sunny day...
I looked at the photos last nite and it was too
late to do searches so I had just settled on Saxifrage Family so far.
I agree it should be a
Heuchera. The pointy foliage one almost looks like a Heucherella. Do
those hybrids occur
in the wild, do you know?

Beautiful variations in foliage of Heuchera now, YES. and I have about
15 or so of them!
and about 4 Heucherella, and a couple Tiarella. Do you think I like
them or what?

Hi Tony
Beautiful plant. I think the tall flower stalk with its fat buds
pretty much rules out the
Geranium Family. Let us know what it is like in bloom. I have the
western version of
Alum Root, H. micrantha, and also another CA native H. maxima. Both
blooming right now.

Emilie
Nor CAL
Old 16-04-2011, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...?authkey=Gv1sR....

Why didn't you plant it in an old soup tin? *Poor thing is struggling
in that silly tiny plastic pot... don't you own a piece of ground...
at least plant it in an unglazed clay pot 4-6 times that size. *Unless
you can afford a piece of ground or a proper container then leave
plants where they live. *I truly hope you don't have any pets, you'd
abuse them too.

Oh Brookie, you are so funny; you really make me laugh!
How do you know Tony's plans for this plant? He may have a 10 acre
wildflower estate
Are you a mentalist, a mind reader, clairvoyant, huh
Emilie
Old 17-04-2011, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

No, only 5 acres mostly wooded, I wish I could do something good with
wildflowers but it's not easy. So far my best wildflower luck is with
daisies. If when they start blooming I water them often, they bloom for
months! I don't know what it is, but I can't even grow chicory! I've
collected hundreds of seeds and just can't get them to grow. So when
I'm getting the mail, I walk along the road to see the chicory blooming
beautifully in the gutter. Maybe if I throw rock salt on the seeds when
it snows, drive on it now and then, spit a little oil and gas on them,
throw cigarette butts on them, then they will grow? And of course I
have plans for that plant, I just can't decide where to put it.... seems
like it likes filtered light or some direct sun but not too much.
Old 17-04-2011, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default chicory (was: Plant Identification?

Tony Miklos wrote:
No, only 5 acres mostly wooded, I wish I could do something good with
wildflowers but it's not easy. So far my best wildflower luck is with
daisies. If when they start blooming I water them often, they bloom for
months! I don't know what it is, but I can't even grow chicory! I've
collected hundreds of seeds and just can't get them to grow. So when
I'm getting the mail, I walk along the road to see the chicory blooming
beautifully in the gutter. Maybe if I throw rock salt on the seeds when
it snows, drive on it now and then, spit a little oil and gas on them,
throw cigarette butts on them, then they will grow? And of course I
have plans for that plant, I just can't decide where to put it.... seems
like it likes filtered light or some direct sun but not too much.

i can't say for sure, because all
the roadsides here have it and the
environment is mixed (some full sun
and some shaded). i think actually
the key is that it needs disturbed
soil to get established and would
get crowded out if left alone (not
mowed regularly like a roadside).

we've got chicory growing here in
a sandy spot (one of the few we've got
in the yard). it gets full sun at mid
day and is shaded later in the day.

i transplanted a few small plants from
along side of the road. dug as much of
the root as i could. watered it a
bit until i saw new growth. i think the
key is that i chose the smallest plants
i could find.

they are surrounded by wood chips
and other plantings and we always
have plenty of volunteers to weed.

the bunnies, deer and goldfinches
like it.

songbird

Old 18-04-2011, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca said:

On Apr 16, 4:07*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

That's a Heuchera, AKA alum root, possibly H. americana. *The leaf color
and shape is naturally quite variable, which has allowed for many
domestic cultivars to be derived from an already attractive wild plant.

Hi Pat
I knew this one would get a reply from Pat! How are you, we actually
have a sunny day...

Well, I planted my peas last week, and of course, it is snowing this morning.

We've had only one really warm day (the Sunday before I planted the peas)
and only a few not-cold, dry days for yard work so I am far behind.

I looked at the photos last nite and it was too
late to do searches so I had just settled on Saxifrage Family so far.
I agree it should be a
Heuchera. The pointy foliage one almost looks like a Heucherella. Do
those hybrids occur
in the wild, do you know?

I wouldn't be surprised if that could happen, but Heuchera are certainly
capable of extreme variation all on their own.

Beautiful variations in foliage of Heuchera now, YES. and I have about
15 or so of them!
and about 4 Heucherella, and a couple Tiarella. Do you think I like
them or what?

Every year it seem you see a stunning new one in the nurseries, but the
emphasis has been all on foliage.

There were a few older cultivars selected for the flowers. I'd like to see
them breed blazing coral-colored blooms back into some of the new types.

Old 18-04-2011, 02:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony Miklos wrote:

[...]

I feel your pain with chicory. I'm in middle TN and it seems to grow
right up to the property line and until last year would not cross it.
I, too, tried seeds, transplanting - nothing. Then last year it
finally ventured to a spot and had a couple of blooms. I hoping it
will decide to like it here.

Kate