Old 16-04-2011, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Plant Identification?

On Apr 16, 4:07*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Tony Miklos said:

Found this beauty in the woods, it stays green all winter (east TN)and
it goes down in the 20's and teens a lot with this staying green. *Last
fall I had dug up one (I didn't dig it up until I saw I had more of them
in the woods close by.) *I thought the one now in captivity was doing
well until today I took a walk in the woods to see how the others are.
Seems like the leaves on the captive one are severely stunted!
Otherwise looks healthy and getting ready to bloom. *I am going to plant
it in the garden, I just didn't find the right spot yet. *Looks like it
needs filtered light. *Does well with some direct sunlight but not too
much. *Here is a link to some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/tony.mi...nknownPlant02?

authkey=Gv1sRgCN_5l4zH-4CrrAE&feat=directlink

Hmm, I used to be able to post links without them being broken so I
guess you will have to cut and paste it.

That's a Heuchera, AKA alum root, possibly H. americana. *The leaf color
and shape is naturally quite variable, which has allowed for many
domestic cultivars to be derived from an already attractive wild plant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heucher...id_plant=HEAM6

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes. Swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored

Hi Pat
I knew this one would get a reply from Pat! How are you, we actually
have a sunny day...
I looked at the photos last nite and it was too
late to do searches so I had just settled on Saxifrage Family so far.
I agree it should be a
Heuchera. The pointy foliage one almost looks like a Heucherella. Do
those hybrids occur
in the wild, do you know?

Beautiful variations in foliage of Heuchera now, YES. and I have about
15 or so of them!
and about 4 Heucherella, and a couple Tiarella. Do you think I like
them or what?

Hi Tony
Beautiful plant. I think the tall flower stalk with its fat buds
pretty much rules out the
Geranium Family. Let us know what it is like in bloom. I have the
western version of
Alum Root, H. micrantha, and also another CA native H. maxima. Both
blooming right now.

Emilie
Nor CAL