Old 18-04-2011, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default Plant Identification?

mleblanca said:

On Apr 16, 4:07*am, Pat Kiewicz wrote:

That's a Heuchera, AKA alum root, possibly H. americana. *The leaf color
and shape is naturally quite variable, which has allowed for many
domestic cultivars to be derived from an already attractive wild plant.

Hi Pat
I knew this one would get a reply from Pat! How are you, we actually
have a sunny day...

Well, I planted my peas last week, and of course, it is snowing this morning.

We've had only one really warm day (the Sunday before I planted the peas)
and only a few not-cold, dry days for yard work so I am far behind.

I looked at the photos last nite and it was too
late to do searches so I had just settled on Saxifrage Family so far.
I agree it should be a
Heuchera. The pointy foliage one almost looks like a Heucherella. Do
those hybrids occur
in the wild, do you know?

I wouldn't be surprised if that could happen, but Heuchera are certainly
capable of extreme variation all on their own.

Beautiful variations in foliage of Heuchera now, YES. and I have about
15 or so of them!
and about 4 Heucherella, and a couple Tiarella. Do you think I like
them or what?

Every year it seem you see a stunning new one in the nurseries, but the
emphasis has been all on foliage.

There were a few older cultivars selected for the flowers. I'd like to see
them breed blazing coral-colored blooms back into some of the new types.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"Yes. Swooping is bad."

email valid but not regularly monitored