Old 21-04-2011, 04:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Lawn newbie needs to check that google is right.

On 4/21/2011 8:46 AM, BigIan wrote:
Hi all,

I moved last autumn and bought my first house with a garden.
I`m quite happy with the garden as it is, lots of flowering shrubs and a
few trees, the lawn looks a little worse for wear so i`ve been looking
at how best to fix this. the problems a
1) LOTS of moss in the lawn.
2)compacted soil (when i water it in the evening the water very quicly
pools)
3) Various weeds such as dandilions
4) Bald patches, some of these can be attributed to me getting used to
my new garden tools others to the alliopathic effects of nearby trees,
but the previous house owner had a dog and i`m assuming that this could
be the cause of such patches.

My basic plan is 3 fold;
1) airate the soil using a garden fork. (how far apart should put the
holes?)
2) proprietary lawnfeed/moss killer
3) lots of hard work with the rake to remove dead moss and thatch.

I`ll also over seed the lawn at a later date.

Does any one else have any tips?

"Lots of moss" often means high acidity so you may need to lime instead
of using moss killer.