Old 22-04-2011, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Booth Snr[_3_] Frank Booth Snr[_3_] is offline

Default Strawberry anthers

Baz wrote:
Frank Booth wrote in news:cqydnftf5-
:

Although some of my plants are now flowering, I've noticed this year
there appears to be a lack of pollen normally seen dusting around the
edge of the anthers. Coupled with a lack of bees and pollinating
insects, I'm worried whether any strawberry stigmas will be pollinated
if the anthers prove sterile. I've got out my trusty water-colour
horsehair brush to try and hand pollinate the flowers, but there's just
no visible pollen around, although a few flowers have shed their petals
after a couple of days.

Could it be that your plants are old? I have read that they only last a few
years and shoots should be grown on.
My strawberries are not doing much good either. Flowers are there and have
been for a few weeks but nothing has set. I do water them during this dry
April.

Some of them are getting on, 3 years plus. But a few of the maidens
although growing vigorously have produced no flowers. Some of the
flowers that opened today have at last shed pollen. It just seems to be
the early flowers that look sterile.
The older plants often have 2 - 3 crowns, but only one crown produces
flowers.