Old 21-04-2011, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberry anthers

Although some of my plants are now flowering, I've noticed this year
there appears to be a lack of pollen normally seen dusting around the
edge of the anthers. Coupled with a lack of bees and pollinating
insects, I'm worried whether any strawberry stigmas will be pollinated
if the anthers prove sterile. I've got out my trusty water-colour
horsehair brush to try and hand pollinate the flowers, but there's just
no visible pollen around, although a few flowers have shed their petals
after a couple of days.
Old 21-04-2011, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
Although some of my plants are now flowering, I've noticed this year there
appears to be a lack of pollen normally seen dusting around the edge of
the anthers. Coupled with a lack of bees and pollinating insects, I'm
worried whether any strawberry stigmas will be pollinated if the anthers
prove sterile. I've got out my trusty water-colour horsehair brush to try
and hand pollinate the flowers, but there's just no visible pollen around,
although a few flowers have shed their petals after a couple of days.

Can't help with strawberry advice but my redcurrant bushes are already
showing small green berries, so no lack of pollinating insects here.
Tina

Old 22-04-2011, 12:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

"Frank Booth Snr" wrote in message
Although some of my plants are now flowering, I've noticed this year
there appears to be a lack of pollen normally seen dusting around the
edge of the anthers. Coupled with a lack of bees and pollinating
insects, I'm worried whether any strawberry stigmas will be
pollinated if the anthers prove sterile. I've got out my trusty
water-colour horsehair brush to try and hand pollinate the flowers,
but there's just no visible pollen around, although a few flowers
have shed their petals after a couple of days.

Can't help with strawberry advice but my redcurrant bushes are already
showing small green berries, so no lack of pollinating insects here.
Tina

We have one blackcurrant bush and several gooseberry bushes which are
bearing fruit.

Our Redcurrant are twigs, no leaf. They(2 of them) gave loads last year and
I can't think what has happened to them this year. A big pity because my
mother used to make jellies and shakes with them and we kept 2 plants in
case one of them died. I can see now why some people get a bit sentimental.

Baz