Old 24-04-2011, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Brownie The Brownie is offline

Default Advice please re Ivy

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
Click twice on the first picture here
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q and you will see Ivy growing up a
Palm Tree. We find it attractive BUT we are conscious of the damage Ivy
can do to a tree. It was a never ending battle with a huge Bramley we had
at our last house, the one with a big garden. The gardens here are tiny,
so a battle won't ensue.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

It looks quite nice to me, Mike, but might not be the best place for

Ivy.. (see what Mrs Mike thinks)

At a midlands house where we lived 30 years we had any Ivy happily clinging
up and around a stone and concrete line post - it looked so pretty we hadn't
the heart to disturb it when we had another post and pulleys for line. I
don't know how it first started off.. it was right up to the metal pegs when
we left... I think the purchasers were intrigued too.

Margaret (oop NW England)