Old 24-04-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Advice please re Ivy

"The Brownie" me@privacy net. wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news
Click twice on the first picture here
http://www.myalbum.com/Album=MUKLG34Q and you will see Ivy growing up a
Palm Tree. We find it attractive BUT we are conscious of the damage Ivy
can do to a tree. It was a never ending battle with a huge Bramley we had
at our last house, the one with a big garden. The gardens here are tiny,
so a battle won't ensue.

What are your thoughts?

Mike

It looks quite nice to me, Mike, but might not be the best place for

Ivy.. (see what Mrs Mike thinks)

At a midlands house where we lived 30 years we had any Ivy happily
clinging up and around a stone and concrete line post - it looked so
pretty we hadn't the heart to disturb it when we had another post and
pulleys for line. I don't know how it first started off.. it was right up
to the metal pegs when we left... I think the purchasers were intrigued
too.

Margaret (oop NW England)

Thanks Margaret. 'Mrs Mike' is the gardener with over 50 years experience
and it was she who raised the question, (with the thoughts of our old
Bramley which we think was planted when our house out in the country was
built in 1844) so that is why I put it to the forum ;-))

We also have a concrete line post here. Did have a Russian Vine up it at one
point :-(( big mistake.

We were in the Midlands as well, again with a big garden. But that now has a
couple of blocks of apartments/flats/old peoples bungalow things on it :-))

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.