Old 20-04-2003, 06:20 AM
SLEngst

Default Cloudy water - NO3 deficiency

Anton,

Thanks for the interest. I suppose green water's possible. No, there is no
source of PO4 going into that tank other than fish food. And it gets the same
amount of fish food per fish as the other tanks. The well water has no N or P,
only K. I did three 50% water changes in 2 days and the cloudiness came back
in two days. Before I found time to test all 6 tanks for everything I put in
some bacteria thinking I had an NH4 problem from cleaning the water and filter
system repeatedly, and the tank cleared up. Then got cloudy in a couple days -
which was when I found time to test and NH4 was zero. I have no idea what's in
the solution with the bacteria that caused a temporary clearing. I also found
that netting the fish out so I could concentrate on that tank without scaring
them silly - the process of swishing around in the plants, knocking off algae
and all the pearling of gas X on the algae temporarily cleared the tank water.
I'm now adding no fish feed, so no extra PO4 source other than some dead leaves
off some plants.The meremaid weed and wisteria are going through metamorphesis.
I don't buffer the water - what with a KH of 16. My pH control is strictly
DIY-CO2, 24-7. I'm trying to get n-p-k all in balance but not so rapidly as to
kill the clean-up crew bottom dwellers I couldn't net out.