Old 26-04-2011, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
General Schvantzkoph General Schvantzkoph is offline

Default Mulching materials

On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:37:00 -0400, Peppermint Patootie wrote:

I have a small urban organic vegetable garden within the city limits of
Boston, and I'm trying to mulch the heck out of it this year to save on
weeding and water. (I have soaker hoses I plan to place under the
mulch.)

I have questions about what materials will be best for mulch. I'm
concerned about: 1) whether the material is good or bad for the plant
2) whether the material is good or bad for the part of the plant I'll be
eating i.e. toxic? 3) whether the material is a good mulch material (as
I think it is) or if I'm deluded about its utility as a much material.

Here's what I have ideas of using:

- newspapers
- straw (trying to get some bales delivered: anyone know a good
source near Boston?)
- cedar shavings (are they acidic or alkali and would that help/hinder
tomatoes, beans, summer squash, cucumbers)

Does anyone have any other good ideas? I don't have a lawn, so don't
have lawn clippings, although I might be able to get some from my
neighbor. I want them for the compost heap anyway.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions or information folks can offer.

Thanks!

Priscilla
urban organic gardener in zone 6

I've been using Mad Mics Mulch, it's based on horse bedding and manure. I
had an incredible tomato crop last year. I got mine from Dr Mulch in
Westford, the closest distributor to you is probably Cambridge Bark and
Loam in Cambridge.

http://www.madmics.com/