Old 27-04-2011, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ted Shoemaker Ted Shoemaker is offline

Default first time with climbing rose -- your advice?

Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker