Old 27-04-2011, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default first time with climbing rose -- your advice?

Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker
Old 27-04-2011, 01:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:03:49 -0700 (PDT), Ted Shoemaker
wrote:

Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

If you drill into the landlord's masonary wall you just may find
yourself with a huge bill and needing a new place to live... I
strongly suggest you don't. Instead buy a wooden trelis you can plant
in the ground in front of the masonary wall, it will not only keep you
with a roof over your head, it will look nice too.
Old 27-04-2011, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/26/11 5:03 PM, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Climbing roses require support. They are not like ivy or some other
vines that can cling to a wall.

I bought a masonry bit and used my ancient electric hand drill (bought
in 1965) to drill holes in a concrete block wall. Yes, it was slow
work. I inserted plastic anchors into the holes and then screwed in
screw-eyes. I tied my climbing roses to the screw eyes.

A neighbor had his climbing roses grow almost to the eaves of his front
porch, tying the long canes to the support posts of the porch overhang.
Then he hung a dowel or plastic pipe from the eaves and tied the
climbers to that.

You can also get a trellis and have the rose grow on that. If you go to
http://www.gardensoftheworld.info/ and wait patiently through the
slide show, you will see arched trellises with red roses (climbing 'Don
Juan') in the foreground and white roses (climbing 'Lace Cascade') in
the midground.

Note that roses generally need 6 or more hours of sun each day. Yours
might not get enough sun on an east-facing wall.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 27-04-2011, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Ted Shoemaker wrote:

Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

It will eventually grow a stalk, and look much like any other rose. You
could help it out with a trellis, store bought, or home made.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 27-04-2011, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Ted Shoemaker wrote:

Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Forgot to mention, like the song says,"Roses love sunshine". It would
probably be happier with a westerly, or southernly perspective, but you
may wish to have Mr. Hare-Scott pronounce judgement on the
eco-fringiness, or dogmatism of my observations.

"There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments."
- Janet Kilburn Phillips

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/mich...wisconsin-is-b
roke/

Old 27-04-2011, 01:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

Since the wife bought the rose, I would find a way to naturally get rid of
that terrible insidious horrible plant. First find your neighbors Japanese
Beatle trap and empty the container on the roses. Over fertilize the plant
by "accident". Train the dog to pee on it every morning for an extra dog
treat.

As you can see, I hate roses. Pruning and weeding around those pesky
thorns. Need special gloves. The clippings of those thorns do not compost
well. They attract Japanese Beatles. Your will need an arsenal of chemicals
to keep them looking nice. People are getting away from those horrible
plants. Great news that "jackson and perkins" roses company declared
bankruptcy and some how still hanging around.

I hope you did not actually promise her a rose garden... Arguments over
care will come next. Like me or the dog arguments.

And one more thing... Plant them in the shade next to the down spout gutter

Old 27-04-2011, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

"David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

[We are experiencing technical problems, the previous response should be
back up shortly. In the mean time, don't panic, just run to the nearest
exit.]

Nad, I'm not sure that you are clear on what a gardening group does.
When a poster asks for help with growing a plant, you're not supposed to
tell them how to put out a contract on it. He might decide it easier to
keep the rose, and get rid of the wife. Oh, what a wicked web we weave .
.. .

Bush's 3rd term: Obama and another war

Coming soon to an impoverished country near you,

Bush's 4th term

Old 27-04-2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

"David E. Ross" wrote:
[...]

LOL
He will find out eventually who is correct about this thorny subject

Old 27-04-2011, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Nad R wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Since the wife bought the rose, I would find a way to naturally get rid of

[We are experiencing technical problems, the previous response should be
back up shortly. In the mean time, don't panic, just run to the nearest
exit.]

Nad, I'm not sure that you are clear on what a gardening group does.
When a poster asks for help with growing a plant, you're not supposed to
tell them how to put out a contract on it. He might decide it easier to
keep the rose, and get rid of the wife. Oh, what a wicked web we weave .

LOL
He will find out eventually who is correct about this thorny subject

Hmmm....

Ok then, try this idea...

You do not need a trellis. It is possible to keep that rose to a manageable
size like four to five feet high only each and every year. The plant will
grow around two to three feet a year. One can prune the plant down, let's
say to only one to two feet high in the fall. Cut the branches just above
new side shoots. If shoots are coming out from the root stock, then cut the
shoot off from the root stock.

Personally... Peonies are better than roses without the thorns

I say eradicate that species called the "Rose" from the earth.... Mugging
going on...
NOOOOO.... Then muffles... Then silence...

Old 27-04-2011, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Nad R wrote:
Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

[...]

We have 2 climbimg roses. One has a large yellow rose that has produced
a stalk, and, except for the fact that it throws off long canes,
resembles a "normal" rose. The other climbing rose grows like a bramble
with small pink roses. These are my wife's projects, and were planted
several decades ago. I have no idea how they came to their present
states.

"We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because
thorn bushes have roses." - Abraham Lincoln

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/mich...wisconsin-is-b
roke/

Thank Reaganomics/Thatcherism, a.k.a. Voodoo economics :O(

Old 28-04-2011, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Wow! This group provides not only gardening advice, but also plant
genocide (Nad R wants to exterminate roses from the planet), political
diatribe (Billy posts an evergrowing list of anticapitalist
sentiments), and advice about keeping the landlord happy (Brooklyn1
advises me not to poke holes in the exterior wall. Yeah, I'll agree
with that!).

Hidden somewhere in there were good replies about growing roses.

What wasn't useful was entertaining; and what wasn't entertaining was
useful.

I like this group.

Thank you for all responses.

Ted Shoemaker

P.S. I'm keeping the wife.

Old 29-04-2011, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:45:56 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Wow! This group provides not only gardening advice, but also plant
genocide (Nad R wants to exterminate roses from the planet), political
diatribe (Billy posts an evergrowing list of anticapitalist
sentiments), and advice about keeping the landlord happy (Brooklyn1
advises me not to poke holes in the exterior wall. Yeah, I'll agree
with that!).

Hidden somewhere in there were good replies about growing roses.

What wasn't useful was entertaining; and what wasn't entertaining was
useful.

I like this group.

Thank you for all responses.

Ted Shoemaker