Old 27-04-2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default first time with climbing rose -- your advice?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

"David E. Ross" wrote:
On 4/26/11 5:03 PM, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Hello,

My wife came home this afternoon with a "Climbing America" rose. I've
never tried roses before this week, and I usually have a gray thumb.

She wants to plant the Climbing America on an east-facing brick wall.
Some websites say that we need to drill holes in the brick (if you've
never done that, it's not the same as drilling in wood!), install
hardware, run wires, etc. Really? That's a lot to do to a building
that we don't own!

What happens if we just plant the climber beside the wall, and let it
go? Okay, the Rose Police will tsk-tsk about it. What else will
happen?

Thank you.

Ted Shoemaker

Climbing roses require support. They are not like ivy or some other
vines that can cling to a wall.

I bought a masonry bit and used my ancient electric hand drill (bought
in 1965) to drill holes in a concrete block wall. Yes, it was slow
work. I inserted plastic anchors into the holes and then screwed in
screw-eyes. I tied my climbing roses to the screw eyes.

A neighbor had his climbing roses grow almost to the eaves of his front
porch, tying the long canes to the support posts of the porch overhang.
Then he hung a dowel or plastic pipe from the eaves and tied the
climbers to that.

You can also get a trellis and have the rose grow on that. If you go to
http://www.gardensoftheworld.info/ and wait patiently through the
slide show, you will see arched trellises with red roses (climbing 'Don
Juan') in the foreground and white roses (climbing 'Lace Cascade') in
the midground.

Note that roses generally need 6 or more hours of sun each day. Yours
might not get enough sun on an east-facing wall.

Since the wife bought the rose, I would find a way to naturally get rid of

[We are experiencing technical problems, the previous response should be
back up shortly. In the mean time, don't panic, just run to the nearest
exit.]

Nad, I'm not sure that you are clear on what a gardening group does.
When a poster asks for help with growing a plant, you're not supposed to
tell them how to put out a contract on it. He might decide it easier to
keep the rose, and get rid of the wife. Oh, what a wicked web we weave .

LOL
He will find out eventually who is correct about this thorny subject