Old 27-04-2011, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Dogwood Question

On 4/27/2011 12:00 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
I live in Virginia, basically in the middle of woods. My home is
surrounded by trees. There are a good many Dogwood trees that are just
naturally growing through out. I have recently cleared an area for a
butterfly garden and have found many small Dogwood trees that can't
stay, but their roots are entwined with each other and other tree's
roots. I have a soft spot for Dogwoods and my question is this. Is there
a way that I can clear the area, but save the little trees somehow? If I
cut some branches will they root? I'm VERY new to gardening and could
use all the advice I can get.

Way before the internet, getting advice like this:

http://www.gardenguides.com/81289-tr...wood-tree.html

I discovered by trial and error.

Dogwoods are an edge tree and if shaded out will die.

For butterflies, if you don't know, butterfly bushes attract them well.