Old 27-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia
Question Dogwood Question

I live in Virginia, basically in the middle of woods. My home is surrounded by trees. There are a good many Dogwood trees that are just naturally growing through out. I have recently cleared an area for a butterfly garden and have found many small Dogwood trees that can't stay, but their roots are entwined with each other and other tree's roots. I have a soft spot for Dogwoods and my question is this. Is there a way that I can clear the area, but save the little trees somehow? If I cut some branches will they root? I'm VERY new to gardening and could use all the advice I can get.
__________________
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener
Old 27-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered User

That's a problem for dogwoods growing in the wild. You may in the fall dig around the stand alones and see how their roots lie and one's that aren't intertwined you can tansplant. The others well more then likely are not healthy, I cut some down that were hollow inside, you just might want to cut them down because the odds are great they will not last long.
Old 27-04-2011, 11:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Dogwood Question

On 4/27/2011 12:00 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
I live in Virginia, basically in the middle of woods. My home is
surrounded by trees. There are a good many Dogwood trees that are just
naturally growing through out. I have recently cleared an area for a
butterfly garden and have found many small Dogwood trees that can't
stay, but their roots are entwined with each other and other tree's
roots. I have a soft spot for Dogwoods and my question is this. Is there
a way that I can clear the area, but save the little trees somehow? If I
cut some branches will they root? I'm VERY new to gardening and could
use all the advice I can get.

Way before the internet, getting advice like this:

http://www.gardenguides.com/81289-tr...wood-tree.html

I discovered by trial and error.

Dogwoods are an edge tree and if shaded out will die.

For butterflies, if you don't know, butterfly bushes attract them well.
Old 28-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

I've read that Dogwoods don't do well in the deeper, more shaded parts, but there are so many that are actually doing quite well deep in my woods. Maybe the fact that it's all hilly helps them get more sun than they normally would or maybe I'm just lucky!
I actually did know that about butterfly bushes and I have two. I have also read that many of the butterflies in Virginia like Violets and Thistles, both of which I'm not sure I want to add since I've heard they're invasive, especially Thistles. Any other suggestions on plants that could be host plants or feeding plants? It's a partial shade area, as you can imagine I have very little full sun.
__________________
Old 29-04-2011, 01:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/28/2011 1:39 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
I've read that Dogwoods don't do well in the deeper, more shaded parts,
but there are so many that are actually doing quite well deep in my
woods. Maybe the fact that it's all hilly helps them get more sun than
they normally would or maybe I'm just lucky!
I actually did know that about butterfly bushes and I have two. I have
also read that many of the butterflies in Virginia like Violets and
Thistles, both of which I'm not sure I want to add since I've heard
they're invasive, especially Thistles. Any other suggestions on plants
that could be host plants or feeding plants? It's a partial shade area,
as you can imagine I have very little full sun.

We have not really tried to attract butterflies but I'm getting to like
the butterfly bushes as they are one thing the deer don't eat. The
butterfly's feed on the nectar. Not sure what more they would need.

We had a lot of wild dogwoods when we first moved in and I tried to move
three out front and first two died when I determined I needed much
larger root ball. Now the wild ones are dying off due to increased shade.

Old 29-04-2011, 02:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:46:43 -0400, Frank
wrote:

[...]

I consider dogwood temporary trees, even under the most ideal
conditions they don't live much longer than 40 years. Just when they
achieve their most spectacular configuration and you're used to having
them around they up and die. Few understory trees live very long.
When I was younger I planted several dogwood, none outlived me. I
would never pay money to plant dogwood or sacrifice space for dogwood.
I would never plant a tree that can't outlive my children. I consider
your dogwood weeds.
Old 29-04-2011, 03:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank writes:

[...]

My wife is pretty proud of her Dogwood transplant.

She yanked it out of the ground when it was about 4 feet high.
Still going strong 10 years later.

They self seed in our backyard.

There are some spectacular looking ones at the Bronx Botanical Garden.
I'm still trying to prune ours the same way but I can't say I've
succeeded. Yet.

We have one over 40 years old but it's in really bad shape.
It was full grown when we moved in 34 years ago.
It's all disfigured and is rotten on the inside. It's so grotesque
I can't bring myself to get rid of it.

This might be it's last year though.
Old 29-04-2011, 02:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:02:55 -0400, wrote:

Frank writes:

[...]

Forty years is about the outter limit for dogwood. Had I known then
what I know now I'd have never planted any. I do not recommend
dogwood as a specimen tree either, besides their rather short life
span they don't always have a good year, often they don't 'flower'
very well. I had three at my last house that I finally removed. This
was the last one, tried to save it but it was already a goner, hadn't
looked at this picture for ten years now, looks sad... shoulda just
taken it down entirely:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2dhcqcm.jpg
Old 29-04-2011, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 writes:

Forty years is about the outter limit for dogwood. Had I known then
what I know now I'd have never planted any. I do not recommend
dogwood as a specimen tree either, besides their rather short life
span they don't always have a good year, often they don't 'flower'
very well. I had three at my last house that I finally removed. This
was the last one, tried to save it but it was already a goner, hadn't
looked at this picture for ten years now, looks sad... shoulda just
taken it down entirely:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2dhcqcm.jpg

The tree looks okay except that someone pruned the tree viciously.
Too close to the house I suppose.

Old 29-04-2011, 04:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:24:13 -0400, wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 writes:

Forty years is about the outter limit for dogwood. Had I known then
what I know now I'd have never planted any. I do not recommend
dogwood as a specimen tree either, besides their rather short life
span they don't always have a good year, often they don't 'flower'
very well. I had three at my last house that I finally removed. This
was the last one, tried to save it but it was already a goner, hadn't
looked at this picture for ten years now, looks sad... shoulda just
taken it down entirely:
http://i54.tinypic.com/2dhcqcm.jpg

The tree looks okay except that someone pruned the tree viciously.

That's not pruning, that's dead wood removal. The poor thing spent
three years trying to put out new growth but finally I put it out of
its misery.

Too close to the house I suppose.

Not hardly.

Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/28/2011 1:39 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
I've read that Dogwoods don't do well in the deeper, more shaded parts,
but there are so many that are actually doing quite well deep in my
woods. Maybe the fact that it's all hilly helps them get more sun than
they normally would or maybe I'm just lucky!
I actually did know that about butterfly bushes and I have two. I have
also read that many of the butterflies in Virginia like Violets and
Thistles, both of which I'm not sure I want to add since I've heard
they're invasive, especially Thistles. Any other suggestions on plants
that could be host plants or feeding plants? It's a partial shade area,
as you can imagine I have very little full sun.

Just noticed my wife has a box of a seed blend called, Bird & Butterfly
Wildflower Blend from American Seed. 2 oz covers 100 sq. ft. and only
cost $1. Mix of annuals and perennials does not need reseeding.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 AM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

[/i][/color]
Just noticed my wife has a box of a seed blend called, Bird & Butterfly
Wildflower Blend from American Seed. 2 oz covers 100 sq. ft. and only
cost $1. Mix of annuals and perennials does not need reseeding.[/quote]

I actually have that, as well as the 'Shade Seed' from the same company. I purchased them at Walgreens. The problem I've always run into with seeds of any kind is the birds eat them, even though I covered them with straw to try and protect them, but some did grow. I'll probably put down more as the garden takes shape. Thank you for the suggestion.
__________________
Old 05-05-2011, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
Ig.Gardener[/i][/color]

If you want Monarchs, you'd do best to get milkweed. But it's a bloody
nuisance.

Chris
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Registered User

Location: Virginia

If you want Monarchs, you'd do best to get milkweed. But it's a bloody
nuisance.

Chris[/quote]

It seems that many of the plants butterflies like are a nuisance, but I am determined to get that butterfly garden. Is there any way of maybe containing the more invasive plants yet still allow butterflies access to them?