Old 28-04-2011, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gz Gz is offline

Default Mulching materials

On Apr 25, 3:37*pm, Peppermint Patootie
wrote:
I have a small urban organic vegetable garden within the city limits of
Boston, and I'm trying to mulch the heck out of it this year to save on
weeding and water. *(I have soaker hoses I plan to place under the
mulch.)

I have questions about what materials will be best for mulch. *I'm
concerned about: *1) whether the material is good or bad for the plant *
2) whether the material is good or bad for the part of the plant I'll be
eating i.e. toxic? *3) whether the material is a good mulch material (as
I think it is) or if I'm deluded about its utility as a much material.

Here's what I have ideas of using:

- *newspapers
- *straw *(trying to get some bales delivered: *anyone know a good * * *
source near Boston?)
- *cedar shavings *(are they acidic or alkali and would that help/hinder
tomatoes, beans, summer squash, cucumbers)

Does anyone have any other good ideas? *I don't have a lawn, so don't
have lawn clippings, although I might be able to get some from my
neighbor. *I want them for the compost heap anyway.

I'll be grateful for any suggestions or information folks can offer.

Thanks!

Priscilla
urban organic gardener in zone 6

I got a bag of cat litter, compressed pine pellets I cant figure what
to do with it. My one cat can't figure it out!!