Old 29-04-2011, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Little Purple Flowers In Lawn

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
My front lawn is loaded with little purple flowers this year. I think
they may be violets. Any ideas as to how I can get rid of these?
Rich From PA ............ Zone 5-6

Why?

Bag your lawn clippings and compost especially in the spring. Early spring
mow the yard short and add grass seed which will make it harder for weeds
to multiply. Mowing without bagging will spread the unwanted flowers. In
early summer let the grass grow tall, it will help snuff out the smaller
unwanted plants and the grass will go to seed and then mow the yard without
bagging, this will help in spreading free grass seed. Weeds tend to go to
seed before the grass goes to seed.

My initial guess it is purple clover which is beneficial to your lawn in
the long run.