Old 29-04-2011, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Dustbin

Janet wrote in
:

In article ,
says...

My round dustbin has been replaced by one the modern bins. So I have
an old round dustbin. One of my helpers has suggested I grow a plant
in the bin that grows down the outside or the bin and hides it as
much as possible.

What is a suitable plant?

Steve

I saved our old bin and its heavy lid, it lives beside my potting
table
and I decant sacks of potting compost into it for easy access and use.
I also acquired a neighbours old bin which is earmarked to have its
bottom cut out, then it will be buried underground to contain a bamboo
(phyllostachys aurea) in a spot I don't want it to wander from.

If I was going to plant up a bin I'd probably cut portholes in the
sides and plant strawberries in it.

Janet

If the old galvanised bin is truly a relic(not repro) it is worth
preserving because they are already being sought after by collectors and
museums as part of our social history in the UK. So I would put it
somewhere safe and not put anything in it. Just a thought. You can't BUY
history when history is gone.

Baz