Old 30-04-2011, 03:53 AM
Ig.Gardener Ig.Gardener is offline
Registered User

Location: Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenpete11 View Post
he comes over most evenings and has even come as close to 2 ft away to take food from us..i know some of you dont like foxes for your own reasons but he is a good looking fella imo.

Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE animal lover. They all have a purpose and personality, and this guy is quite handsome. The only thing that you should consider is the fact that he is way too confident around you. This means that he is associating food with you, and that means he'll associate it with other, not so nice people too. When you hear 'Don't feed wild animals' most people think 'why not? I'm not going to hurt them or feed them anything dangerous, and I'm not afraid of them either' but those aren't the only reasons. If he gets too close to the wrong person because he's not afraid, he'll be in trouble. There is nothing wrong with maybe leaving some tidbits for him, but he should instinctively flee the moment a human comes around, he shouldn't be able to survive on the food you leave him and, if avoidable, he shouldn't know where it comes from. Try spying on him through windows instead. My home is in the middle of woods and I'm able to see wildlife a LOT, and it is truly special to see those that are thriving and beautiful so I understand your excitement. Congratulations on having such an animal so close to home!
Rocks, roots, constant shade and one
Ignorant Gardener