Old 30-04-2011, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Snag Snag is offline

Default Still nothing ...

The Cook wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now ,
still no growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle
and buried in dry powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it
looks just exactly like it did when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container
of water , I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the
kitchen windowsill . If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit
longer before I plant something else in that space . If after a
week or two it hasn't done anything I'll plant the rest of my seed
taters or maybe some cantalopes or something there.

There are two kinds of strawberries, June and EverBerries. Newly
planted June berries will probably show up next June and do very
little until then. They will need tender loving care during the
summer, like weeding and small amounts of fertilizer. Ever Berries
will produce small amounts of strawberries through out the summer.
June berries come in all at once around June for the northern
hemisphere. a few weeks after flowering the strawberries will come
unless a late freeze get to them.

I prefer the June berries for canning. But then I have a feeling you
know this already. From previous discussions.

The June berries we put in this spring are already 3" tall and some
have blossoms. If the roots have not done anything in 3 weeks I am
betting they are dead.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills

Kinda what I was beginning to think ... which kinda ****es me off , I was
really really looking forward to berries from my own garden . Ah well ,
maybe this afernoon I'll go buy some live plants , and be sureI get
everbearing plants thistime.
The taters I planted less than 2 weeks ago have ALL come up . Gotta get a
coupla bales of straw for them . We may not get strawberries this year , but
we will have taters !
--
Snag
Learning keeps