Old 30-04-2011, 04:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Still nothing ...

Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now , still no
growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle and buried in dry
powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it looks just exactly like it did
when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container of water
, I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the kitchen windowsill .
If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit longer before I plant
something else in that space . If after a week or two it hasn't done
anything I'll plant the rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or
something there.
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 30-04-2011, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Snag" wrote:
Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now , still no
growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle and buried in dry
powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it looks just exactly like it did
when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container of water
, I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the kitchen windowsill .
If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit longer before I plant
something else in that space . If after a week or two it hasn't done
anything I'll plant the rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or
something there.

There are two kinds of strawberries, June and EverBerries. Newly planted
June berries will probably show up next June and do very little until then.
They will need tender loving care during the summer, like weeding and small
amounts of fertilizer. Ever Berries will produce small amounts of
strawberries through out the summer. June berries come in all at once
around June for the northern hemisphere. a few weeks after flowering the
strawberries will come unless a late freeze get to them.

I prefer the June berries for canning. But then I have a feeling you know
this already. From previous discussions.

Old 30-04-2011, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

The June berries we put in this spring are already 3" tall and some
have blossoms. If the roots have not done anything in 3 weeks I am
betting they are dead.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 30-04-2011, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Nad R wrote:
"Snag" wrote:
[...]

So I shouldn't expect ANY growth at all yet ? I would expect these should
at least be putting out some roots and showing a bit of green on top ...
these are the June bearing variety, which I didn't realize until after they
were in the ground .
BTW, I'm in Memphis TN , and it's been something like 6 -8 weeks since the
last frost . Soil isn't very warm yet , we've had a fair amount of cool
weather and quite a lot of cloudy/rainy days .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 30-04-2011, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

Kinda what I was beginning to think ... which kinda ****es me off , I was
really really looking forward to berries from my own garden . Ah well ,
maybe this afernoon I'll go buy some live plants , and be sureI get
everbearing plants thistime.
The taters I planted less than 2 weeks ago have ALL come up . Gotta get a
coupla bales of straw for them . We may not get strawberries this year , but
we will have taters !
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 30-04-2011, 07:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

One of the best flavored strawberries is Earlyglow. They are a June
berry. The ever bearings that we tried did not do as well or taste as
good. They should grow well in your area. Check with your County
Extension Service.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html to find yours. The
state extension service may have a web site with information about
varieties of plants that grow well in your area.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills
Old 30-04-2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

She did say they were dormant? I bet your taller berries came from your
local nursery. I wonder if the she bought them through the mail they could
have been DOA. But then are not bare root plants need to be soaked in water
for a day or two before planting directly into the ground?

Old 01-05-2011, 01:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

Nad , I'm not sure who you're responding to ... I bought mine at Kmart or
Walmart, can't remember which and I went to both that day. I planted
according to the instructions on the bag . Nothing said about soaking , just
a caution to be sure the roots were buried and that the (can't recall the
term - crown ?) wasn't . As much rain as we've had , I don't think lack of
water is the problem ... we've had something like 8-9" of rain since I
planted . A few days should tell if I bought dead plants ... if that one in
the water on my window sill doesn't do anything in a few days I'll jut
consider that 5 bucks a cheap lesson about packaged pants .
--
Snag
Learning keeps

Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
[...]

Lately my brain has not been focused. Staying up half the night is
something I need to stop doing, since I retired eight months ago and have
not yet to get my act together in this still joyous delusional state of
mind.

I have always purchase my plants and supplies at a rather large high end
nursery near by, at least forty acres in size. They always have first rate
plants of every kind and most of their employees have degrees in
horticulture. I have few problems if any with their plants. So when it
comes to mail order or other places... I probably do not know what I am
talking about

Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 10:47:35 -0500, "Snag" wrote:

Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now , still no
growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle and buried in dry
powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it looks just exactly like it did
when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container of water
, I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the kitchen windowsill .
If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit longer before I plant
something else in that space . If after a week or two it hasn't done
anything I'll plant the rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or
something there.

To clarify the information on our last Earlyglow strawberries. They
were billed on 3/21/11 and would have been planted within a week,
allowing for shipping. They were dormant plants, some may have shown
a hint of green leaf but most didn't. The roots looked somewhat dry.
The plants are now about 3" high with nice sized leaves and an
occasional flower. These were purchased mail order from Miller
Nurseries.
www.millernurseries.com

We have also purchased several fruit trees from them.
--
USA
North Carolina Foothills