Old 30-04-2011, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Still nothing ...

The Cook wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now , still no
growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle and buried in dry
powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it looks just exactly like it did
when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small container of water
, I guess we'll see what happens with it sittin' on the kitchen windowsill .
If it starts doing something , I'll wait a bit longer before I plant
something else in that space . If after a week or two it hasn't done
anything I'll plant the rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or
something there.

There are two kinds of strawberries, June and EverBerries. Newly planted
June berries will probably show up next June and do very little until then.
They will need tender loving care during the summer, like weeding and small
amounts of fertilizer. Ever Berries will produce small amounts of
strawberries through out the summer. June berries come in all at once
around June for the northern hemisphere. a few weeks after flowering the
strawberries will come unless a late freeze get to them.

I prefer the June berries for canning. But then I have a feeling you know
this already. From previous discussions.

The June berries we put in this spring are already 3" tall and some
have blossoms. If the roots have not done anything in 3 weeks I am
betting they are dead.

She did say they were dormant? I bet your taller berries came from your
local nursery. I wonder if the she bought them through the mail they could
have been DOA. But then are not bare root plants need to be soaked in water
for a day or two before planting directly into the ground?