Old 01-05-2011, 02:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Still nothing ...

"Snag" wrote:
Nad R wrote:
The Cook wrote:
On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:48:03 +0000 (UTC), Nad R
wrote:

"Snag" wrote:
Strawberries have been in the ground for just over 3 weeks now ,
still no growth - these were dormant plants , packed in a bundle
and buried in dry powdered moss . So today I dug one up, and it
looks just exactly like it did when I planted it .
At least it hasn't rotted . I stuck that one in a small
container of water , I guess we'll see what happens with it
sittin' on the kitchen windowsill . If it starts doing something ,
I'll wait a bit longer before I plant something else in that space
. If after a week or two it hasn't done anything I'll plant the
rest of my seed taters or maybe some cantalopes or something there.

There are two kinds of strawberries, June and EverBerries. Newly
planted June berries will probably show up next June and do very
little until then. They will need tender loving care during the
summer, like weeding and small amounts of fertilizer. Ever Berries
will produce small amounts of strawberries through out the summer.
June berries come in all at once around June for the northern
hemisphere. a few weeks after flowering the strawberries will come
unless a late freeze get to them.

I prefer the June berries for canning. But then I have a feeling
you know this already. From previous discussions.

The June berries we put in this spring are already 3" tall and some
have blossoms. If the roots have not done anything in 3 weeks I am
betting they are dead.

She did say they were dormant? I bet your taller berries came from
your local nursery. I wonder if the she bought them through the mail
they could have been DOA. But then are not bare root plants need to
be soaked in water for a day or two before planting directly into the
ground?

Nad , I'm not sure who you're responding to ... I bought mine at Kmart or
Walmart, can't remember which and I went to both that day. I planted
according to the instructions on the bag . Nothing said about soaking , just
a caution to be sure the roots were buried and that the (can't recall the
term - crown ?) wasn't . As much rain as we've had , I don't think lack of
water is the problem ... we've had something like 8-9" of rain since I
planted . A few days should tell if I bought dead plants ... if that one in
the water on my window sill doesn't do anything in a few days I'll jut
consider that 5 bucks a cheap lesson about packaged pants .

Lately my brain has not been focused. Staying up half the night is
something I need to stop doing, since I retired eight months ago and have
not yet to get my act together in this still joyous delusional state of
mind.

I have always purchase my plants and supplies at a rather large high end
nursery near by, at least forty acres in size. They always have first rate
plants of every kind and most of their employees have degrees in
horticulture. I have few problems if any with their plants. So when it
comes to mail order or other places... I probably do not know what I am
talking about