Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Sweet Peppers

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Was this a typing assignment for you?

What kind of brilliance is it to tell a gardening group the barest of
basics about peppers?

Come back when you have a question, or an answer, instead of wasting
space.

Keep on posting as long as it garden related. Free speech zone here.

Garden plants have flowers and leaves and are green. They need sunshine
and water. The ones you don't want are called weeds. You make a garden
by having daddy do most of the work, and then mommy waters it, and I get
to pick anything I want. we are doing this because we are being turned
into a third world country.

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-s...13-obama-cuts-
domestic-spending-and-increases-military-corporate-welfare/

Dan made me do it.

LOL, see even the simplest of phases can cheer one up

You mean like PTSD?

Great, but you deal with the prattle, OK?

I agree that peppers are nice but the "bell pepper" type seems to take a
lot of room in comparison to its yield. However, a grilled, freshly
picked, red bell pepper is one of those things you should taste before
you shuffle off this mortal coil. I had a horrible harvest last year
because of our lack of heat. The local paper says that some gave up
trying to grow tomatoes last year because it was so cool.

For many North Coast gardeners, the unthinkable happened last year. Rain
and then a cool summer sucked the life out of many tomato vines.
“I've talked to people who have given up on growing tomatoes because of
last year,” said Dan Lehrer, who grows wholesale veggie starts at his
Flatland Flower Farm outside Sebastopol.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...0429439/1314/l
ifestyle04?p=all&tc=pgall

Fortunately, we are off to a good start. It's 79F today, and the rest of
the week is predicted to be over 80F. I'll still be wrapping the
tomatoes and peppers in clear plastic mulch, though.

Our squash, lettuce, potatoes, and cucumbers are in. I've been losing
some potatoes, and I can't figure out what it is. There is chicken wire
on the ground and cages over the plants. Rascally Raccoon doesn't like
either, and I've spread a couple of cups of iron phosphate around, so I
know it isn't snails and slugs. Something killed off most of our peas. I
replaced the lost ones today and turned on the drip irrigation to check
the system. Looks good to go.

Tomatoes came up kinda leggy. Putting them out in the cool didn't seem
to help, but they are starting to show some life now.

That pretty much leaves the tomatoes, peppers, basil, beans, and corn to
plant.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
- Mark Twain

Mark Twain could have not said it better!

I am off to a bad start here. I was late in getting my seeds going for
Peppers. I have had very little success for peppers because of my short
summer season. I had a long harsh winter that was way out of the ordinary.
The snow ended two weeks ago a month past normal and now i have rain just
about every other day. The ground is saturated with water. In Michigan Mid
May to the End of May is the time everyone starts to plant. I need at least
a two weeks of dry weather to even think about planting. Spotty rain in the
forecast for each day this week.

It has also been much colder here. We are about ten degrees ferinheight
below normal for the spring averages. Very little sunshine coming through
my south windows. Typically my little T-5 grow lights use provide
additional light that was sufficient for strong plants. So cloudy that my
seedlings are on the spindly side. Now that I am on fixed income I am
reluctant to buy more lights.

A single bell pepper is going for $2.50 each here in Michigan. They may not
have the yield but I have feeling my meals this fall are going to be bland.