Old 25-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Registered User

Location: Bolton
Default Sweet Peppers

Hi
Could anybody please tell me how long sweet peppers take to germinate? I have sown the seeds about two weeks ago and had nothing. Also would it be worth trying some more.
Thank You
Cabbage Patch
Old 25-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered User

Location: guang dong, china

it have many steps to grow it. would you let me you steps?
__________________
Tony
www.cidly.com
Old 25-04-2011, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Cabbage Patch wrote:

Hi
Could anybody please tell me how long sweet peppers take to germinate?
I have sown the seeds about two weeks ago and had nothing. Also would
it be worth trying some more.
Thank You
Cabbage Patch

Are these seeds heated? Ideal germinating temps are 80-85F (27-29C) for
peppers. Three to four weeks for germination is not uncommon.
--
- Billy

Dept. of Defense budget: $663.8 billion
Dept. of Health and Human Services budget: $78.4 billion

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron.
- Dwight D. Eisenhower, 16 April 1953
Old 26-04-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Cabbage Patch wrote:
Hi
Could anybody please tell me how long sweet peppers take to germinate?
I have sown the seeds about two weeks ago and had nothing. Also would
it be worth trying some more.
Thank You
Cabbage Patch

It could take longer particularly if the soil is too cool. If it is much
too cold they won't germinate at all.

David

Old 01-05-2011, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
alexfleming9 wrote:

Sweet pepper is also known as the Bell Peppers. it covers a wide variety
of mild peppers that, like the chile, belong to the capsicum family. The
best known sweet peppers are bell peppers, named for their bell-like
shape. They have a mild, sweet flavor and crisp juicy flesh. When young
most bell peppers are a rich, bright green, but there are also yellow,
orange, purple, red and brown bell peppers. Red bell peppers are green
bell peppers that have ripened longer and are very sweet. The red
heart-shaped pimiento is another popular sweet pepper. Pimientos are the
familiar red stuffing found in green olives. Other sweet pepper
varieties include cachucha, European sweet, bull horn, etc.

Was this a typing assignment for you?

What kind of brilliance is it to tell a gardening group the barest of
basics about peppers?

Come back when you have a question, or an answer, instead of wasting
space.
--
- Billy

Bush's 3rd term: Obama plus another elective war
Bush's 4th term: another Judas goat

America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.
It's just that it's not in your hands. It has been transferred, in the
greatest heist in history, from the workers and consumers to the banks
and the portfolios of the uber-rich.
http://theuptake.org/2011/03/05/michael-moore-the-big-lie-wisconsin-is-broke/

Old 01-05-2011, 07:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
alexfleming9 wrote:

[...]

Keep on posting as long as it garden related. Free speech zone here.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
alexfleming9 wrote:

[...]

Garden plants have flowers and leaves and are green. They need sunshine
and water. The ones you don't want are called weeds. You make a garden
by having daddy do most of the work, and then mommy waters it, and I get
to pick anything I want. we are doing this because

Obama Cuts Domestic Spending and Increases Military Corporate Welfare
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-s...ma-cuts-domest
ic-spending-and-increases-military-corporate-welfare/
--

Dan made me do it.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
alexfleming9 wrote:

[...]

LOL, see even the simplest of phases can cheer one up

Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Was this a typing assignment for you?

What kind of brilliance is it to tell a gardening group the barest of
basics about peppers?

Come back when you have a question, or an answer, instead of wasting
space.

Keep on posting as long as it garden related. Free speech zone here.

Garden plants have flowers and leaves and are green. They need sunshine
and water. The ones you don't want are called weeds. You make a garden
by having daddy do most of the work, and then mommy waters it, and I get
to pick anything I want. we are doing this because we are being turned
into a third world country.

http://www.projectcensored.org/top-s...13-obama-cuts-
domestic-spending-and-increases-military-corporate-welfare/

Dan made me do it.

LOL, see even the simplest of phases can cheer one up

You mean like PTSD?

Great, but you deal with the prattle, OK?

I agree that peppers are nice but the "bell pepper" type seems to take a
lot of room in comparison to its yield. However, a grilled, freshly
picked, red bell pepper is one of those things you should taste before
you shuffle off this mortal coil. I had a horrible harvest last year
because of our lack of heat. The local paper says that some gave up
trying to grow tomatoes last year because it was so cool.

For many North Coast gardeners, the unthinkable happened last year. Rain
and then a cool summer sucked the life out of many tomato vines.
“I've talked to people who have given up on growing tomatoes because of
last year,” said Dan Lehrer, who grows wholesale veggie starts at his
Flatland Flower Farm outside Sebastopol.
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article...0429439/1314/l
ifestyle04?p=all&tc=pgall

Fortunately, we are off to a good start. It's 79F today, and the rest of
the week is predicted to be over 80F. I'll still be wrapping the
tomatoes and peppers in clear plastic mulch, though.

Our squash, lettuce, potatoes, and cucumbers are in. I've been losing
some potatoes, and I can't figure out what it is. There is chicken wire
on the ground and cages over the plants. Rascally Raccoon doesn't like
either, and I've spread a couple of cups of iron phosphate around, so I
know it isn't snails and slugs. Something killed off most of our peas. I
replaced the lost ones today and turned on the drip irrigation to check
the system. Looks good to go.

Tomatoes came up kinda leggy. Putting them out in the cool didn't seem
to help, but they are starting to show some life now.

That pretty much leaves the tomatoes, peppers, basil, beans, and corn to
plant.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get"
- Mark Twain

Old 02-05-2011, 01:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

[...]

Mark Twain could have not said it better!

I am off to a bad start here. I was late in getting my seeds going for
Peppers. I have had very little success for peppers because of my short
summer season. I had a long harsh winter that was way out of the ordinary.
The snow ended two weeks ago a month past normal and now i have rain just
about every other day. The ground is saturated with water. In Michigan Mid
May to the End of May is the time everyone starts to plant. I need at least
a two weeks of dry weather to even think about planting. Spotty rain in the
forecast for each day this week.

It has also been much colder here. We are about ten degrees ferinheight
below normal for the spring averages. Very little sunshine coming through
my south windows. Typically my little T-5 grow lights use provide
additional light that was sufficient for strong plants. So cloudy that my
seedlings are on the spindly side. Now that I am on fixed income I am
reluctant to buy more lights.

A single bell pepper is going for $2.50 each here in Michigan. They may not
have the yield but I have feeling my meals this fall are going to be bland.

Old 02-05-2011, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R wrote:

[...]

I meant to mention that the honey bees, and the butterflies have engaged
the the sage (Salvia officinalis), and our wisteria with a serious
intent. The bees like the wild onions, too, but the wild onions are
invasive (they'd probably see it as assertive).

A couple of suggestions for those who want to attract bees and
butterflies.

"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we
garden." - Anon

Old 25-06-2013, 09:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Cabbage Patch" wrote in message

Hi
Could anybody please tell me how long sweet peppers take to germinate?
I have sown the seeds about two weeks ago and had nothing. Also would
it be worth trying some more.
Thank You
Cabbage Patch

I see that you are in the UK - a friend who lives there tells me that the UK
has had a really cold Spring. Even here in Australia I don't plant any of
the pepper family until late Spring (inside in pots) or Summer (outside in
warm soil) and even then I'm not disappointed if I don't get a harvest
because I know they are heat lovers and my season can be a bit short givne
that I live in a tableland cold climate.

Old 26-06-2013, 07:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Farm1"
wrote:

"Cabbage Patch" wrote in message

Hi
Could anybody please tell me how long sweet peppers take to germinate?
I have sown the seeds about two weeks ago and had nothing. Also would
it be worth trying some more.
Thank You
Cabbage Patch

I see that you are in the UK - a friend who lives there tells me that the UK
has had a really cold Spring. Even here in Australia I don't plant any of
the pepper family until late Spring (inside in pots) or Summer (outside in
warm soil) and even then I'm not disappointed if I don't get a harvest
because I know they are heat lovers and my season can be a bit short givne
that I live in a tableland cold climate.

Usually, we have rain in June every 10 years. We've had raine in June
each of the last 3 years. We've just had a day and a half of good rain,
and on Friday, it's supposed to be 92F (33C). Grapes were just finishing
there flowering. Good weather for mold.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/