Old 02-05-2011, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Dogwood Question

On 4/28/2011 1:39 PM, Ig.Gardener wrote:
I've read that Dogwoods don't do well in the deeper, more shaded parts,
but there are so many that are actually doing quite well deep in my
woods. Maybe the fact that it's all hilly helps them get more sun than
they normally would or maybe I'm just lucky!
I actually did know that about butterfly bushes and I have two. I have
also read that many of the butterflies in Virginia like Violets and
Thistles, both of which I'm not sure I want to add since I've heard
they're invasive, especially Thistles. Any other suggestions on plants
that could be host plants or feeding plants? It's a partial shade area,
as you can imagine I have very little full sun.

Just noticed my wife has a box of a seed blend called, Bird & Butterfly
Wildflower Blend from American Seed. 2 oz covers 100 sq. ft. and only
cost $1. Mix of annuals and perennials does not need reseeding.