Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_5_] Wilson[_5_] is offline

Default Brussels sprouts - need your input!

On 05/01/11 11:19 AM, sometime in the recent past Ellie Sprout posted this:
Hi everyone,

This is a call for anyone interested in growing (and cooking/eating)
brussels sprouts.

I am a journalism student and over the past few months have been running
a series of websites for people who love brussels sprouts (as opposed to
the traditional hating clichee) - it's all part of a project for my MA
which I've called "Sprout it from the Rooftops".

Great over Christmas - loads of stories of cooking, burger king "sprout
burgers", etc. - and now that the planting season is starting, I'm
taking the plunge and growing my own.

Does anyone have any tips for me? Or any dos and don'ts or stories they
could share about brussels sprout growing? So far I have a box out on
the patio and my flatmate and I are keeping them nice and damp
especially in the hot weather at the moment.

And take a look at the websites too!

Sprout lovers – you are not alone! | Sprout it from the Rooftops (that's
the blog - feel free to comment!)

Anmelden | Facebook (that's the facebook page - feel free to join!)

and there's a twitter to follow too... @loveasprout

They grow well in Maine. Less bothered by Cabbage Moths than other
brassicas, IMHO. Favorite variety is Olivers.

Saute some salt pork, cut sprouts in half (extra large in quarters) and
saute about 10 mins. Add some white wine (dry sherry) and a dash of balsamic
vinegar. Crack some pepper on them when served. Blanched for 3 mins., they
freeze well.

--
Wilson 44.69, -67.3