Old 08-05-2011, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Advice About a Possibly Mutant Acer Please

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sun, 8 May 2011 12:16:57 +0100, "'Mike'"
wrote:

snipped

That tree was that shape when we bought it three years ago. A bit smaller,
it 'just' fitted in the front seat well of the car. The family always give
tokens at Christmas and Birthdays and this was my wife's 70th birthday
present from the family, via garden tokens;-)

But as I say, it was that shape. Bit expensive in my eyes, but then I am
not
the gardener of over 50 years standing ;-)

Mike

I remember many years ago, we'd gone on a day trip and ended up in a
garden centre about 60 miles away when the BH saw a very nice crab
apple tree and decided it had to be bought. We drove the 60 miles back
slowly with it sticking out of the sunroof.

I bought the acer as one of those cheap "late season offers" that T&M
run each year and I was expecting something like yours (mine's in a
blue pot as well as it happens!). Your first three pics didn't show a
graft by the way - the graft is usually very visible as a sort of
bubble on the top of the rootstock - you should find yours up under
the canopy at the centre of what'll be something like an umbrella
framework of branches - that's where it should be.

:-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=FMWHTXMP

4th picture added. Click on picture to enlarge. Thanks. I don't think there
is any doubt there :-))

Happy and 'fruitful' birthday in a couple of weeks time. we have another one
on the horizon, they seem to be coming round rather fast ;-)

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

I've checked mine again this morning and there is a (bad) graft just
under the "dead umbrella" at the top of one of the original twin stems
but all the growth has before come right up them, never at that top
where it ought to be. If I chop off all the "mutant" growth, I'll be
left with some sorry looking purple sticking out of the side about
half way up one of those stems.

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks so I've dropped some big hints
that I'd like a new one.

Cheers

Jake