Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Loud chirping is new behaviour

"Ian B" wrote in message
john ryan wrote:
Our local blackbird over the last three days has taken to sitting on
the roof aerial and is *loudly* chirp, chirp, chirp, and chirp, chip
for about twenty minutes at a time. It has never done this before.
I've shouted up to turn the noise down, but it's not listening.

Any idea what is going on with it?

Is there a new cat in the area on the prowl? I refer to the local birds as
my "cat alarm" since the sudden racket breaking out is generally advance
warning that the cat's on her way home.

Ian

With Blackbirds, that warning cluck cluck cluck is accompanied with the
flapping of wings and tail. The territorial singing, with the bird adding
more and more complicated notes and trills as it gets older, is calmer and
there is no wing and tail movement.

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.