Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Carp fish with pond plants

On May 10, 5:19*pm, "john ryan" wrote:
B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is: "nymphaea
marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it goldfish
are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?
Thanks.

I have a biggish koi pond with waterlilies too.The koi are a bout 9"
long.

They love to dig so you have to put pebblesover the container soil to
stop this.
As they getbigger you need bigger pebbles. They also chew at the
plants so you need strong growing ones the feeblersort they destroy by
tugging at the shoots.
Goldfish and ko are closely related. I don'tthink the final size of
goldfish is as big as koi can get.