Old 10-05-2011, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Carp fish with pond plants

B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is: "nymphaea
marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it goldfish
are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?
Thanks.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john ryan" wrote in message
B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is:
"nymphaea marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it
goldfish are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?
Thanks.

Yes...no problem. I have varieties of goldfish and Koi happily living with
B&Q lillies.
Pete C
London

Old 10-05-2011, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 10, 5:44*pm, "Pete C" wrote:
"john ryan" wrote in message

...B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is:
"nymphaea marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it
goldfish are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?
Thanks.

Yes...no problem. I have varieties of goldfish and Koi happily living with
B&Q lillies.
Pete C
London

Could be that they have been treated with something to prevent them
carryibg in something unwanted,
I'd pot them in a few changes of water for a week or so before
introducing them to your pond.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john ryan" wrote

B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is:
"nymphaea marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it
goldfish are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?

Marliacea albida.. "introduced into England in 1887 when it received an AGM
although Marliac had developed it in 1880. Flowers are 6 to 7 inches across
and fragrant. They can stand above the water or float on the surface with
the leaves. White long petals with yellow stamens, sometimes the sepels have
just a hint of pink. Strong grower."

The reason they suggest not putting them in with Koi is that Koi get to be
3ft long if kept properly and over 2ft almost anywhere. Without protection
any plant will be uprooted and destroyed, stones on the top of the gravel is
just something else to play with not matter how big. One lily I planted with
protection lasted less than 30 mins before it floated to the surface because
I didn't wire the wire netting on properly.
Fine with Goldfish of any size as long as you cover the soil with decent
sized stones.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 10, 5:19*pm, "john ryan" wrote:
B and Q are selling some very reasonably priced pond water-lilies at the
moment. We have just got one and it says on the packet that it is: "nymphaea
marliacea albida".

It also says *do not* put in the pond with Koi Fish. Now all our Koi died
when we put in the pond some fish coming from China, which effectively
exported from there a Koi fish disease some years ago.

But we now have Goldfish,(some are pretty big). As i understand it goldfish
are a type of Carp, as are Koi fish.

So would anyone know if we can put goldfish safely in with this lily?
Thanks.

I have a biggish koi pond with waterlilies too.The koi are a bout 9"
long.

They love to dig so you have to put pebblesover the container soil to
stop this.
As they getbigger you need bigger pebbles. They also chew at the
plants so you need strong growing ones the feeblersort they destroy by
tugging at the shoots.
Goldfish and ko are closely related. I don'tthink the final size of
goldfish is as big as koi can get.