Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] news@benevolent.org.uk is offline

Default Plant ID please

In article , Spider
writes
On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

I'd agree with Alkanet. Spreads like wildfire and has really deep large
taproots. Quite attractive in flower, but a bit of a brute unless you
keep it under control. Also has a sort of prickly stem and leaves which
feel like it might be stinging you when you try to uproot it - but it
doesn't seem to do any lasting damage to skin (but that might be just
me).

I tolerate it (partly because I don't seem to have much of a choice) but
try hard to restrict it. As soon as it has flowered, I yank it up.
Seems to make good compost

For something with a very large root, it somehow also seems to enjoy
being in a dry stone wall and looks quite attractive there.