Old 09-05-2011, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
- - is offline

Default Plant ID please

Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in West
Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are 8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

- wrote:
Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in West
Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are 8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

The leaf shape and flower colour make me think of borage, but they don't
seem to have the droopy flower stem bits or quite the flower shape. Unless
it's a different variety or earlier in the season?

https://www.kagiken.co.jp/new/kojima...r6_39large.jpg

Old 09-05-2011, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:
Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

Thanks.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 09-05-2011, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Spider
writes
On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:
Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

Thanks.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

I agree with alkanet (Pentaglottis sempervirens).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-05-2011, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 9, 6:06*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
In message , Spider
writes

On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:
Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

Thanks.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

I agree with alkanet (Pentaglottis sempervirens).
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley- Hide quoted text -

Looks as if it's Green Alkanet
see http://www.flickr.com/photos/23985194@N06/5626344994/

Old 09-05-2011, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
- - is offline

On 2011-05-09 14:09:42 +0100, Spider said:

On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:
Hi,

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

http://i53.tinypic.com/mr9qv9.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/5yd851.jpg

Thanks.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

Very pretty and attractive to bees, I believe. I'd certainly hold onto a big
chunk of it in the garden!

Thank you all. That's definitely it. Don't worry, it won't be going anywhere.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
On 09/05/2011 12:33, - wrote:

Please can someone tell me what this "weed" is, growing in my garden in
West Yorkshire. The plants grow to about 40cm tall and the flowers are
8mm across.

A member of the Boraginacae family, possibly Alkanet.

I'd agree with Alkanet. Spreads like wildfire and has really deep large
taproots. Quite attractive in flower, but a bit of a brute unless you
keep it under control. Also has a sort of prickly stem and leaves which
feel like it might be stinging you when you try to uproot it - but it
doesn't seem to do any lasting damage to skin (but that might be just
me).

I tolerate it (partly because I don't seem to have much of a choice) but
try hard to restrict it. As soon as it has flowered, I yank it up.
Seems to make good compost

For something with a very large root, it somehow also seems to enjoy
being in a dry stone wall and looks quite attractive there.