Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default Please help ID this plant

Thanx, yeah I got that piece (and many other bigger ones I plan to put into
a bigger tank when I get some dough) from a lake in the Rocky Mountains up
here in B.C. where we go on summer holidays.

The anubias rhizome is partly above the gravel there...if I pull up the
leaves I can see the pretty much the entire root. Will it put out more
leaves and faster if it's in direct contact with water instead of buried?

Thanx,
Dave.
"LeighMo" wrote in message
I had gotton this plant a couple months ago from a LFS.

You either have an excellent LFS, or had great luck when it came to

picking out
plants. Both of the plants you chose are well-suited for a low-light

tank, and
great for beginners.

I love that driftwood, too!

BTW, I hope you didn't bury the rhizome (the thick, horizontal "root")

when you
planted that Anubias. They do better if the rhizome is kept above the

gravel.
As Dave M. noted, many people like to grow anubias attached to driftwood,
rather than in the gravel. Left on their own, they like to be a couple of
inches above the substrate, with their roots reaching down into it. They

kind
of look like green spiders. (And fish love to hide in those roots!)

Leigh