Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default Please help ID this plant

I had gotton this plant a couple months ago from a LFS. It's been grow'n and
pushing out some good leafage (considering I have had no C02). I'm wondering
if anyone could help me identify it. Here's the link to the picture I took
of my aquarium.

http://www.okcomputerworks.com/Aquarium-02-DEC-2002.jpg

thanx!!

Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Anton

Anubias nana. Nice one.

http://www.okcomputerworks.com/Aquarium-02-DEC-2002.jpg

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

Background plants are Java Fern, foreground is Anubias
barteri-unless-I've-got-the-scale-wrong- v. nana. Oh, and the one in the
middle, the brown one, is an old dead tree. D'nada.

a...

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave Millman

Others have identified your plants, but neglected to mention that both Anubias
and Java Fern are able to grow attached to your dead tree instead of planted in
the gravel. Both could look really nice that way-the Anubias will extend it's
rhizome up the tree, sprouting leaves the whole way...

Do a google search on "planted driftwood" or "java fern diftwood", or look at
photos of the many planted tanks that do this.

Have fun and good luck!

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Hehe, funny you mentioned that! That picture is about a month old, I've
already attached the java to the driftwood with elastic bands...one plant is
already securely growing on one end. About the anubias, I just heard that it
was that type of plant...but I've done some research and found out it's a
very non-demanding plant and can grow anywhere. The problem is, those are
the only plants I have! I need some good stem plants now that I have C02
happening.

Newayz, thanx for the info
Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Thanx, yeah I got that piece (and many other bigger ones I plan to put into
a bigger tank when I get some dough) from a lake in the Rocky Mountains up
here in B.C. where we go on summer holidays.

The anubias rhizome is partly above the gravel there...if I pull up the
leaves I can see the pretty much the entire root. Will it put out more
leaves and faster if it's in direct contact with water instead of buried?

Thanx,
Dave.
"LeighMo" wrote in message
I had gotton this plant a couple months ago from a LFS.

You either have an excellent LFS, or had great luck when it came to

picking out
plants. Both of the plants you chose are well-suited for a low-light

tank, and
great for beginners.

I love that driftwood, too!

BTW, I hope you didn't bury the rhizome (the thick, horizontal "root")

when you
planted that Anubias. They do better if the rhizome is kept above the

gravel.
As Dave M. noted, many people like to grow anubias attached to driftwood,
rather than in the gravel. Left on their own, they like to be a couple of
inches above the substrate, with their roots reaching down into it. They

kind
of look like green spiders. (And fish love to hide in those roots!)

Leigh

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

I had gotton this plant a couple months ago from a LFS.

You either have an excellent LFS, or had great luck when it came to

picking out
plants. Both of the plants you chose are well-suited for a low-light

tank, and
great for beginners.

I think that was luck. I loved the look of the dark green leaves and I had
to have it. Pretty expensive little ******* though.

BTW, I hope you didn't bury the rhizome (the thick, horizontal "root")

when you
planted that Anubias. They do better if the rhizome is kept above the

gravel.
As Dave M. noted, many people like to grow anubias attached to

driftwood,
rather than in the gravel. Left on their own, they like to be a couple

of
inches above the substrate, with their roots reaching down into it.

They
kind
of look like green spiders. (And fish love to hide in those roots!)

Leigh, I just dug my hand in my aquarium and tugged a bit on that anubias
nana...holy cow!--it's in there pretty tight. The rhizome is indeed quite
far above the gravel. There are a whole pile of little roots stemming from
this horizontal rhizome root that go vertically down into the gravel like
you said--'green spiders'.

Thanx for all the help Leigh!
Dave.

Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Aquatic-store.com

Java fern on the left and anubius in the middle. You can attach both
to driftwood and they will grow onto it.

Marcus

Http://www.Aquatic-Store.com