Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Dave M. Picklyk

Default Please help ID this plant

I had gotton this plant a couple months ago from a LFS.

You either have an excellent LFS, or had great luck when it came to

picking out
plants. Both of the plants you chose are well-suited for a low-light

tank, and
great for beginners.

I think that was luck. I loved the look of the dark green leaves and I had
to have it. Pretty expensive little ******* though.

BTW, I hope you didn't bury the rhizome (the thick, horizontal "root")

when you
planted that Anubias. They do better if the rhizome is kept above the

gravel.
As Dave M. noted, many people like to grow anubias attached to

driftwood,
rather than in the gravel. Left on their own, they like to be a couple

of
inches above the substrate, with their roots reaching down into it.

They
kind
of look like green spiders. (And fish love to hide in those roots!)

Leigh, I just dug my hand in my aquarium and tugged a bit on that anubias
nana...holy cow!--it's in there pretty tight. The rhizome is indeed quite
far above the gravel. There are a whole pile of little roots stemming from
this horizontal rhizome root that go vertically down into the gravel like
you said--'green spiders'.

Thanx for all the help Leigh!
Dave.