Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
kush

Default pots in aquarium

I use clay pots. In addition to looking nice, they become quickly colonized
with nitrifying bacteria (a good thing).

As I said, I usually knock the bottoms out of the pots which means they're
more like containment "rings" than "pots." Therefore, height of pot = depth
of substrate + how much of the pot you think looks good sticking out of the
substrate. When I plant a red rubin in an 8" pot with the bottom off, I do
not expect that it's roots are not going to end up thirty-something inches
away on the other side of the tank.

I don't think I'd try planting in a pot with no "drainage" i.e., no way for
water to circulate or, more to the point, toxins to leach out. I would
expect the roots to rot in fairly short order. Still, you never know until
you try...

I've lost track of what it is you're trying to do: is this for the purpose
of landscaping or cultivation? If the latter, you can buy those aquatic
plant pots/cages in bulk.

kush

"You can't have everything - where would you put it?"

linda mar wrote in message
Hi Kush..

thank you for replying...

2. how shallow can these containers be?

Not sure I understand. Just deep enough to hold your plants and planting
medium?

I was thinking about buying one of those clear plastic plant saucers (they
sell for about $0.50ea at local hardware store, etc) that is about 1-1.5"
deep and using them in lieu of real pots...

3. do I need to punch any holes in the bottom of the containers?

Usually I do, but sometimes I don't. Obviously water circulation is

better
if you do but, on the other hand, their easier to move around if you

don't.
Experiment.

okay!

5. can you do this with larger plants like amazon sword plants, etc?

Yes and, actually, those are exactly the sort of plants I do use pots

for.
Amazons are heavy root feeders - by confining them in pots I can provide
fertilizer spikes, without having them leach away into the rest of the

tank,
and special planting medium, such as peat moss.

how deep is your pot for amazon swords?

linda