Old 16-05-2011, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Davy[_3_] Davy[_3_] is offline

Default Radish root damage

Well, the most common view here is that my radish has
been eaten by the grubs of cabbage root fly. I found a
good article from Gardening Which? here

http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf/cabbage-root-fly-
151755.pdf

Seems that for small plants like radish there is not
much you can do. Protecting with fleece seems to be
the most effective but you have to bury the edges of
the fleece under several centimeters of soil - not
practical when I want to grab a few radish every day.

It seems that if you grow the radishes on ground used
for a cabbage family plant the year before then the
flies are likely to emerge from pupae in the ground
and spread under your fleece! My radish are growing on
ground occupied by chard last year.

I didn't used to have problems but in recent years my
previously problem-free leeks are ravished by leek
moth and now my previously problem-free radishes by
cabbage root fly. Climate change or just pests
spreading?

DAvy