Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Danae

Default Java moss and java fern help

"Flandry" wrote in message
om...

Welcome to the "Better Idiots Club", open to all who can kill java
fern and java moss. I'm in the same situation, and posted a
similar message yesterday (the photo of my afflicted Java fern is
he http://web.mit.edu/lovell/www/aquaria/java.htm

Ohhhh, does membership come with a free t-shirt or a secret handshake?

Though I must say, your java fern looks in far worse shape than mine! Yikes!
I hope it recovers fully for you.

I did a search on google groups and found numerous past postings on
this condition, so don't worry, we belong to a big club. Anyway, i
haven't yet found a posting that is convincing as to the cause, but
most agree that removing all the affected leaves - even slightly
affected leaves - will stop further loss. That may mean going back to
the rhizome, but at least you'll save the plant.

Argh, I didn't want to do that, but I guess I'll have to. It is such a
nicely shaped plant at the moment. Oh well, so goes life.

snipped some great possible reasons for the cause

I'd suggest you add some fertilizer and see if your moss recovers.
I'm sure more experienced keepers are cringing, but right now i'm just
using some Schultz liquid fertilizer, adding a few drops each time i
change water or each week.

I think I'm going to try to find the Tropica Mastergrow that Leigh suggested
and start adding that. I must say, it's a rare and pleasurable experience
on a newsgroup to see multiple people recommended the same thing (i.e.
adding fertilizer).

Did you read about making your own PMDD? That's what i'm going to do
when i get the ingredients i ordered.

I've read that many people here use PMDD, but I think I'm too lazy to go
through all the work of making it just for a 10 gallon aquarium. A store
bought bottle of fertilizer would probably last me forever anyways, but
thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Good luck. Please contact me if you find more conclusive information
than what i shared here.

Will do! Thanks for all the help!
-- April