Old 20-04-2003, 06:21 AM
Victor M. Martinez

Default How to find out if my plants are getting enough light?

Richard Krush wrote:
I currently have a 20 gallon (24" x 12" x 18") aquarium which is moderately
planted, but the plants don't really grow (they actually appear to be
slowly dying) and I'm trying to find out why. CO2 level is adequate for

snip
The lamp that I'm using is a bare-bones fluorescent fixture with two 32W,
T8 strips. There is no reflector and the lamp is hanging about one feet
above the uncovered aquarium. The total power usage is 64W, which using

Well, since you don't have a reflector, at least half the light from
the bulbs is being wasted (not being directed at the tank). Also since
your bulbs are longer than the tank, only the fraction of the bulbs that
is actually above the surface of the water should be counted.

aren't getting enough light? And if they aren't, is there anything I can
do to increase the light intensity short of getting a compact-fluorescent
fixture to put directly on the aquarium?

I would get a compact fluorescent or at least a reflector installed.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv