Old 22-05-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Holly

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 May 2011 11:17:43 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and
everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any
way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing the
male ones purposely.

It's easy to sex holly. Female bushes have more spines ):

:-))

This is going to open up a can of worms ;_00

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.