Old 22-05-2011, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Holly

We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 22-05-2011, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing the
male ones purposely.

Old 22-05-2011, 11:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and
everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any
way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing the
male ones purposely.

:-(( That's what I thought. Fingers crossed ;-)

We had a massive Holly at our last house, which was always covered in
Berries. Someone from the church used to come and hack at it to decorate the
church each year ;-(( However when we had a big extension put right across
the front of the house, we had to chop it down. The house was built in 1840
and I am certain that the huge Bramley Apple in the back and the Holly in
the front were the first plantings of the new owner ;-}}

Old 22-05-2011, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 22, 11:36*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message

On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
[...]

From memory 60 to 70% of holly seedlings are male, you only know when
they flower after several years.
This year I collected around 15 berries from a young variagated holly,
stratified the berries then into water to rot the flesh off and now
have around 40 seeds sown, I don't know what chance of them comming up
variagated.
Old 22-05-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Moonraker
writes
On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing
the male ones purposely.

In principle one could produce a DNA test for this purpose. But I don't
think anyone has actually done this.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-05-2011, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 May 2011 11:17:43 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing the
male ones purposely.

It's easy to sex holly. Female bushes have more spines ):

Old 22-05-2011, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 22/05/2011 11:11, 'Mike' wrote:
We have Holly coming up which has seeded itself here, there and
everywhere.
Some of the Holly in the hedges has berries. The new ones coming up, any
way
of telling which ones are going to berry up?

Mike

I don't think so unless you can sex it at an early stage. I think that
even professional growers have problems, one such was giving away small
holly trees, they were all male of course, I cannot see them growing the
male ones purposely.

It's easy to sex holly. Female bushes have more spines ):

:-))

This is going to open up a can of worms ;_00